Increase of 299C power

ah, the missing resistor would explain high screen voltages. Try putting it and the 1.2K back in like the schematic calls for and see what you get. That also creates a bit of extra load on the power supply so it will help drag voltages down at the plate slightly.

Lower screen voltage will result in lower current.
With the low current draw, why the 25 watt? Don't have a bin of those.
Why would the mfg leave it out? A 25 watt stands out.
old

Edit: a 1w resistor burns quite nicely in that circuit.

Last edited:
That actually handles a lot of power. Its a voltage divider. The 15K should be dissipating something like 12 watts if its got 430 volts across it.

It may have been left out by a prior repair person, not so much the mfg. Does this one have those standee resistors that poke up through the top or no? I'd half expect it to be topside for heat reasons. If not, look for where the wiring is baked and thats where it would have lived originally.

I know that at one point, Scott stopped using the screen grid bleeder resistor, due to the heat it gave off, and its propensity to fail as a result. It may be that Old's unit is one that did not use the bleeder -- one of (possibly) a few differences between the power amp circuit in his unit, and the 208, which definitely used the bleeder.

Dave

Every solder joint, as well as unused tabs/pins had a green marker on it. As if QC checked off each connection.
It does have standee resistors but they are accounted for in the HV rail. The only change when I got it was the first dropping resistor was changed from 80ohm to 160ohm.

I put in a gang of 2 and 3 watt resistors. Before they burned I got a reading on the screens. 420V. But didnt have time to see how it affected the other voltages.

I got it down to 423v earlier by adding another 5k ohm in series with the 1.2k without affecting any other circuits (but it lowered current on the output tubes). What would be the disadvantage of going that route other than that as it is liable to be the case when adding this resistor also? That will be alot of heat when/if added.
old

Edit: all wiring is clean and pliable. It was in great shape when it came to me. Wondering now if I shouldnt rewire the HV chain back through that 1.2k ohm screen standee. I thought it was a mistake but now think it is possibly correct as this was a different circuit.

Why else a 10w resistor on that screen circuit?

There are no schematics in the Scott data base/radiomuseum/etc that match this unit.

Last edited:
with a 1.2K resistor between the rectifier and the first filter cap the voltage is going to sag horribly with any kind of power output. Same with really big value resistors in the screen circuit, the voltage will sag badly under load and the performance of the amp will suffer considerably.

Bottom line as I am buttoning this one up:
I have two B+ voltages out of line, others are fine;
1) 470v to the OPT which is in line for a 208 but 50v high for a 299C
2) 450v to the screen which is 50v high for a 299C and 40v high for a 208

I can drop the screen down to 423v by adding a 5k in series to the screen (or put it somewhere in between) or just leave as-is.
Any last advice on on whether to leave alone and run the screen high or drop the screen voltage? Putting tube life aside, which would be the best sounding and still be safe?
Bottom line.jpg

Old -- So I take it that R218 is not present in your unit?

Dave

That is correct. And I really dont want to burn up that kind of power if it was not designed for it. So I thought that maybe lowering it thru a low power resistor might be the answer if the ramifications were not objectionable. Dont know what is worse, high screens or higher resistance.
old

Edit: BTW, there are some 3.3 ohm resistors in series to the OPT which knock the voltage down to 465v. And I could not find these circuits on either schemactic.
OPT.jpg

Last edited:
New tubes:
With a new "matched" quad of TungSol tubes, all my B+ voltages dropped about 12vdc (about 12v lower than design now). The screen voltage dropped 20v to 430vdc. Plates are 437v.
Heaters on 7591s are 6.14vac and off the bias supply, -44vdc.

But current was too high and after adjusting pots to full, I was able to get the current down to 40ma but the bias is -22.5vdc on average. About 16.5 watts.

Is this an issue or is all good if current is good?
Thanks
Old

BTW, if I adj pots to full in other direction, I can get close to design of -18.5v bias but current is in excess of 55ma. Difficult for me to figure out the optimum value at idle from the tube charts.
http://www.tubezone.net/pdf/7591.pdf

Edit: After about an hour of play, noticed the .01 cap across the wall 117v was sweating liquid wax. The chassis was hot as were the OPTs. Couldnt keep my hand on one of them for over a second or two.

Last edited:
its not just physical placement is it? I don't know the 299c but if the transformers are really close to the tubes or if there is a missing shield they'll get hot just from being nearby.

its not just physical placement is it? I don't know the 299c but if the transformers are really close to the tubes or if there is a missing shield they'll get hot just from being nearby.
Both xfrms are flanked by two tube almost touching them. Only one is really hot.

I put in the original value for the first dropping resistor on B+ (80ohm vs 160ohm). Screen is 444v but other voltages in line (or lower).
However, now the I am getting .48v across the cathode resistor and the bias pots are full turned at -22.5v. Do I need to change the resistor to the pots to get adjustment where I can get the tubes to .35v? Or is running them that high OK?

To get them there, bias voltage will be considerably higher than design.

Last edited:
The Russian tubes tend to need more negative voltage to bias properly. May need to tweak that resistor to get it right.

The bias voltage isn't honestly that important, the current flow is far more critical.

Lowered resistor to bias. Getting 33ma with -24.5v bias.
Thanks to all with the help on this one.
But I cant really run this one reliably until I figure out whats heating up the OT.
old

Thats probably over about 120F. If it takes that long, it could just be heat from the nearby tube. I don't own one, so I can't say if thats just how hot they get.

Happen to have any aluminum foil around? Maybe try making a temporary reflective shield over the end of the transformer to see if that helps. If it does you can use foil tape on the transformer to make a more permanent solution.

Thats probably over about 120F. If it takes that long, it could just be heat from the nearby tube. I don't own one, so I can't say if thats just how hot they get.

Happen to have any aluminum foil around? Maybe try making a temporary reflective shield over the end of the transformer to see if that helps. If it does you can use foil tape on the transformer to make a more permanent solution.
Both Transformers or flanked by two Output tubes in an identical configuration. Only one gets hot.

dunno, if all the tubes draw relatively equal current there isn't any obvious reason that one would get hot and the other one doesnt.

Back
Top Bottom