Help with my new marantz

Inmatejason

first I just want to so thanks for all the worm welcomes and help you guys have been giving me, your great, this site is such a big help to me, im learning so much.
Anyway on to my question, I just got a Marantz 2220B, northing has been replaced on it except the bulbs a I did a full cleaning inside and out. My plans for this marantz was to replace my Sony STR 2015 and I was happy with the marantz until I used my turntable(Realistic Lab-420) The sound quality is just not as good as my little Sony. The marantz just doesn't sound as clean and clear, I was always told how amazing sounding vintage Marantz was so Could it be that the marantz needs to be recapped or I need to clean the phono connections or something? Does anyone know if the Sony phono stage is better then the marantz? what do you guys think of the phono on the lower wattage marantz? Do I just need to have this marantz fully serviced or is this normal for a marantz?

I have been doing some reading and I think I know what the problems is, people love marantz for that warm sound. I didn't really know what that meant to be honest but now after reading into it I understand. Warm sound means the highs are not as high/bright and has more emphasis on the lows and that's what I'm hearing and not liking, but I'm going to stick with the marantz for a bit and see if I like that warmer tone or not., I need to give it a chance.

marantz phono stages are excellent but a common problem with them is that the transistors they used on a lot of them go bad after time and the sound quality can get bad and scratchy. that could be the issue if its just the phono that sounds bad. im not familiar with your model and not a tech but one should chime in soon hopefully.

if t hasnt been gone through, it needs some deoxit on all the pots, and a dc offset check..have you done that aolready?

Back
Top Bottom