Revox B215 recording distortions

Hotze

Hello,
Im new to this forum. My recapped and repaired Revox B215 still produces distortions in recordings. Had it serviced from Revox but they changed only three ICs so it is capable to adjust the recording level again. Than did perform a quick frequency response test and said it all worked. But it isnt working properly but produces audible distortions on every recorded cassette. Alignment works properly, Level-set works properly. I have no idea why they couldnt fix this tapedeck. Is there anything that I could check with respect to nominal settings (maybe the potentiometers are not set correct?).
This is my second B215, first one did record flawlessly but had long term errors, so I returned it to the dealer. Thats why I performed a full recap first on this one. Revox Service seems only to change active electronic ICs, no more precise fault detection possible.

Last edited:
Are your levels set correctly? I assume so, so if they are drop your recording level down to -2 and see what's happening. Of course it goes without fail for you to check your recording process against that in the manual.

M~

Some things to check:
Is the distortion equal on both Left and Right?
Is the distortion present equally on all tape types (Fe, CrO2, Metal)?
Is there any hint of distortion if you put the source-tape switch in the source position?
Does the NR system on/off have any effect on the distortion?

They (or someone) may have mis-calibrated it, if they calibrated it at all. There is a special plug-in electronic module required to align the B215 (easy enough to make up, the circuit is well known), but without it, you cannot set the B215 bias and eq, there are no screw-driver adjustments to do this adjustment.

Dear folks,
many thanks for the hints. I heard again and both channels produce distortions As I'm no expert on this topic, this deck has to visit another Revox repair shop. Its a shame that Revov Villingen wasnt able to fix the bug.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom