Birds - Post 'em up

22555440_1494387243931223_1185782019440253508_o.jpg

This mated pair of Bald Eagles nesting near a Decorah,Iowa trout farm.

Last edited:
Dang, those are beautiful.

I love birds, but don't know much about cameras.
Point, push, and hope, school of picher takin'

Sarge all but has these guys hand trained:
DSCN1272 (1).jpg DSCN1274.jpg

This Scrub Jay has his mouth full of bread. He goes from here, to a quick dunk in the bird bath to wet them, and off he goes, acting like he just pulled a caper.
DSCN0506.jpg

Those Mountain Quail are so cute. We used to have Bob Whites around here, but they were never as trusting .

@sfox52
The male, on the roof, will sit there and survey the diggins. When it is safe, he'll let out a call, and his harem comes out of the bushes to feed. He sits up there and watches over everything.
They run in a pack of a dozen or so. We should be seeing more babies in the spring. Talk about cute.

Quail story:
I have a ton of vermin ground squirrels around here; totally problematic with their digging. My neighbor suggested that I borrow his live trap, and start catching and removing squirrels. I asked how, and he suggested dog kibble. He says that he gets them all day long this way,..
So, I set the trap up on a known squirrel trail, and wait,.... nothing.
Wait more, nothing.
Finally I came out, and, the trap was sprung. Finally, my first squirrel.
But, there was this male quail just running around the trap in a panic. When I approached, he split into the bushes,... but his lady friend, she was in the trap. Oh, man,..
So, I open the trap, and she shoots out like a blur. They join up, and go running off up the hill together.
I trapped a quail. I got no squirrels, but I did get that quail.

Last edited:
And, this morning, just outside the music room window, a chorus of cackles, at 5:45am
Its Turkey Day!

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Sarge has been talking to these guys for the better part of a year, thinking that it was just one. Last night, they flew the coup, and came to pay Sarge a visit this morning. She squealed in delight,... ohh, there are three of them!
Then she found out that they're family pets, and not scheduled for the dinner plate; Sarge squealed with delight again.
An hour later, the neighbor came down, and wrangled them together for the long walk back home.

Sarge keeps this bowl filled with water for the local critters. At night, you can hear the coyotes drinking away. During the day, all day, there are endless birds drinking and taking baths.
This afternoon, the local hawk came in for a bath.
DSCN4260.jpg

Back
Top Bottom