Manley Stingray

IMG_7504.JPG IMG_7503.JPG IMG_7498.JPG
I'm trying to figure out if there are good tubes? what size?
  • 8 x EL84 Russian NOS EL84M
  • 2 x 6414 RAYTHEON
  • 2 x 12AT7EH Siemens

Trying to figure out what these switches are for?
View attachment 1028908
Not sure about the bypass loop one but the right one is for switching between triode-connected and UL-connected for the output tubes. Don't know about this amp specifically but generally the amp must be off when making that switch. Triode will be less power (~10W/ch?) than UL (~20W/ch?) but they will have somewhat different sonic signatures.

Few thoughts:

All single-ended designs adds something audible to the signal. Not all 'distracting' - some 'distortion' e.g. 2nd harmonic addition might make some music sound 'fuller'!

The Stingray design is slightly superior to other similar topographies, and has a good reputation. About "stuff" between the input and loudspeaker: It is impossible to judge the effect without checking the schematic. (One needs to get rid of the assumption that 'fewer components will sound better because no component is perfect'. Add components to give an amplifier NFB and the component count will be higher - but the distortion some 10 times lower!)

... making the job of choosing by listening not nice and easy. Good luck there!

When running in pseudo triode mode that should add back some of those pleasing lower order harmonic types with the Stingray.

Am eager to see what Dave likes better.

Not really surprised, moving from ultra linear connections to triode strapping my EL34's in my amp basically cut output figures in half, though I have not measured it but that is how it works in approximation I believe.
I also severed the GNFB as it was no longer needed and was a negative (sorry about the pun) after strapping. Not sure if all amp makers address the GNFB line when the implement these switch modes.

There are 8x power tubes, 4x for each channel. They are Pentodes running in either Ultra Linear or in Pseudo Triode mode. Those are the choices available with the Stingray.

Maximum Output Power UL mode: 40 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz
Maximum Output Power TRIODE mode: 20 Watts x 2 channels

The gain stage before the power stage also will dictate how much total power is deliverable.

Always lusted after one of these amps.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the power ratings are as high as they claim, 20W is lofty for a pair of pentode- connected EL84s, 40 from PPP UL sure seems like a lot. Looking forward to hearing impressions.
Manley always claims that they don't run their tube amps hard, either.

EL84 hi-fi amps are supposed to be special little creatures, looking forward to hearing impressions, too.

There are 8x power tubes, 4x for each channel. They are Pentodes running in either Ultra Linear or in Pseudo Triode mode. Those are the choices available with the Stingray.

Maximum Output Power UL mode: 40 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz
Maximum Output Power TRIODE mode: 20 Watts x 2 channels

Yes, but typically PP EL84 will make about 6W in triode and about 12W in UL so I was expecting more like double those numbers in PPP, but maybe this goes a bit deeper in AB to get some more power.

Yes, but typically PP EL84 will make about 6W in triode and about 12W in UL so I was expecting more like double those numbers in PPP, but maybe this goes a bit deeper in AB to get some more power.
Well, i guess is shows there is more to consider regarding design.

I'm not a designer so I have to rely on those that are.

So how does it sound to you, Dave?

so far I impressed with the Manley with the Sonus Faber than the Altecs but still working on it. I'll be going back the moth later.

Listen to both carefully , and decide what you like the most listen to music you a very familiar with . Horns and Directly heated cathode tube like in the Moth 45 usually sound the best .

I have been using 6BQ5 amps the last 4 month after not having my system working for a year , and just put my 6B4g ( A 6 volt 2A3)amp back end and wondered why i was depriving myself .

Edit spelling
Very interesting.

Been driving the Manley all day and liking how it sounds. Nice power and it seems to have bass and depth. I'm going to replace the tubes on it. I dont know how old they are and might be the orignal ones.
I know when I turn it on that some light brighter fast than others.
the tubes are EL84 (8) 6114 (2) and 12AT7 (2) what to replace them with and where to buy is going to take some research. How do you know what sound with what tube manufacture?

My favorite 12AT7 is Amperex France, then, Mullard, Tele, Brimar. Sames goes for EL84. 6114 doesn't ring a bell to me? :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom