Marantz 1020 Tube Amplifier

AvSat44

I have just discovered an amplifier supposedly built by Marantz which is designated "1020". It doesn't look like any Marantz gear I have ever seen with timber side panels and a raised perforated metal cage to allow cooling of the tubes. The owner informs me that it is extremely rare but doesn't have any documentation. He also mentioned that it runs 6BM8's in push-pull as output tubes. It also has multiple output impedance terminals for the speakers. There is no identification on the back of the unit and viewed from underneath, the wiring is a bit rough. If it is the real deal I'd like to get it, even if it doesn't work. Has anyone ever seen this model as I can't get any joy on the internet and there doesn't seem to be any thing like it in Australia even though this one is located just down the road from where I live.1020 -1.jpg 1020-2.jpg 1020-4.jpg 1020-6.jpg 1020-2.jpgThanks in advance.

Yes, here it is. It is what makes me suspicious about this unit. Haven't seen wiring this rough for a while. It is possible that someone (not so handy) got to it. $_01.jpg

Can't get it any bigger. If you paste to your desktop and convert to a PDF that might help. What I can say, looking at it again, it reminds me of my wiring prowess at age 15 (now 65 and a fair bit better at it).

I thought the same at first but the "Marantz" lettering looks straight out of their parts bin. Also I thought most of the early Superscope/Marantz stuff all came out of the same factory.

Wow! I am a Marantz fan and.l have never seen one of those. The font lettering is right. Cool find.
Ive seen pictures of Marantz prorotypes, heck some right here on AK. You might have a one off prototype that never made it to production. It might explain it being a bit rough underneath. Maybe changes made after it was put together?

Give it a cross post over on the Marantz forum. Probably a prototype or test design. Apparently there were a number of them floating around. For a brief time there was a poster that came onto the vintage audio group. He was one of the original Marantz engineers when they were still in NY. It was a pleasure to read how he and the team tested out circuits and designs for those early units. We ALL begged him to tell his story in more detail so he could document the early history of the Marantz name.

He disappeared as quickly as he showed up. I didn't want to ask or know why????

The RCA connectors and the DIN reminds me of some Japanese tube gear...

Yes, it strongly smells cheap low quality 60ies japanese gear like those sold under various brandnames like Olson,National,Lafayette,etc... Definitely NOT made by Marantz, they wouldn't have allowed putting their name on this junk. Not a "prototype" either, but more likely a skilfully re-boxed re-purposed japanese amp by someone who obviously spent a lot of time/work/efforts to create this FrankenMarantz. The odd-looking protruding metal cage add-on and terrible internal wiring/layout are other indications that this was never intended to be a commercially marketed end product.

Last edited:
After studying the pics and info. closely, I'm inclined to agree that this unit is not the real deal. Apart from the wiring which is bad, the whole look is not "Marantz". Also, why would Marantz use 6BM8's in the output stages anyway when they could use 6BQ5's (EL84). Also the "Marantz" logo appears to be a separate panel.
I am now faced with a dilemma! The owner has now placed this amplifier on eBay and it has bids in excess of $800.00. I am sure the owner is convinced that it is a Marantz amplifier and audio is not his passion. Any suggestions on what I should do (or not do).

If you know the gentleman, and are so inclined, you could tell him it is a fake. If you don't know him, let it go.

The market is already very, very savvy about what Marantz tube amps are, and will not be hoodwinked by this false flag badging.

I am now faced with a dilemma! The owner has now placed this amplifier on eBay and it has bids in excess of $800.00. I am sure the owner is convinced that it is a Marantz amplifier and audio is not his passion. Any suggestions on what I should do (or not do).

Probably just forget about it. It's apparently (almost certainly) not a true Marantz and you certainly don't want to own it for upwards of $800. Pass on it and don't look back.

Well I looked at the add and he is stating that it is a Marantz amp. If it proves not to be, he is on the hook but who knows? Might have been a proto that didn't go into production.
Anybody in the world that collects Marantz gear is looking at this thread, or should be if they are bidding on it. I would make him aware of this thread and let him decide.
If you can go look and see it in person, tell us if it looks factory built or the work of a hobbyist.

BillWojo

I would not lose sleep over passing on a 6BM8 amp. If you want Marantz, save up for an 8B and get something to satisfy the mean time.

The listing has only one bid, so we'll see if it actually gets paid for. Definitely an interesting one. The rear connectors look very similar to Sansui 1000A parts.

I have more Marantz gear than I'd like to think about but every now and then something gets the curiosity juices bubbling and this was it.
In the last 24 hours a second one has popped up with 6 bids and its running at the massive amount of $7.50! This seller, however, details in his listing exactly what it is.
Turns out it is a Japanese Cosmos amplifier from the late 1960's cobbled into a Rotel RA-310 case with some Marantz labelling added.
The fact that there are now 2 of these on eBay makes me wonder just how many of them were produced!

I have more Marantz gear than I'd like to think about but every now and then something gets the curiosity juices bubbling and this was it.
In the last 24 hours a second one has popped up with 6 bids and its running at the massive amount of $7.50! This seller, however, details in his listing exactly what it is.
Turns out it is a Japanese Cosmos amplifier from the late 1960's cobbled into a Rotel RA-310 case with some Marantz labelling added.
The fact that there are now 2 of these on eBay makes me wonder just how many of them were produced!

Back
Top Bottom