Marantz 1020 Tube Amplifier

Crispy is right about the Japanese ownership of Marantz. Apparently they appreciated the name but were not willing to make the high end tube gear that the originals were. So, cheesy and cheap as it is the amp may still be a factory Marantz.

I sure hope the people bidding on the other one read the full description but obviously not as its received 8 bids.
"

This listing is for a 6" x 4" photo of this amplifier as described and pictured above

Last edited:
Here's the text from the listing, because it's awesome:

The amplifier pictured above is actually a late 60's Cosmos valve amplifier chassis, fitted into a
Rotel RA-310 amplifier case.
A Marantz speaker badge was fitted where the Rotel selector switches originally resided.
The output power meter is one half of a Realistic brand APM-100 with an inkjet printed scale.
The front panel printing is on laminated, coloured card using a font very similar to that used by Marantz in the 70's.
The knobs are Cosmos, the cage welded perforated steel.
The solid state phono preamp has a metal cover fitted over it.
The power transformer has a marantz sticked applied.

Please note: Marantz never produced a model 1020 tube amplifier.

The actual amplifier pictured was sold in late 2015 on ebay as an "extensively cosmetically modified Cosmos amplifier".

If you see this "Marantz model 1020 tube amp" for sale you now know what it actually is.

This listing is for a 6" x 4" photo of this amplifier as described and pictured above.

To Marantz Japan's credit they did do a last ditch effort to save the brand in the 80's. Esotic models if I spelled it right. Refresh of the late 70's stuff and pretty to boot. The stuff goes for crazy money. A lot of the 80's Philips Marantz was craptastic.

The Esotec gear is a LOT more than a refresh of the 70s gear.
Just trying to keep it short and sweet. :D Its like they looked at the late 70's equipment and said, "How can we make these much better?" Its just sad that they were a little too late to save the brand. Do you know if the mono blocks were ever offered bolted to a single face plate like the 15 & 16's?

Very interesting infos but the second listing is only for a photo of this (very likely) same fake FrankenMarantz:

"This listing is for a 6" x 4" photo of this amplifier as described and pictured above".

Though it's not sure the 1st seller will like this new listing.

Bid(s) retractions are to follow...

Just trying to keep it short and sweet. :D Its like they looked at the late 70's equipment and said, "How can we make these much better?" Its just sad that they were a little too late to save the brand. Do you know if the mono blocks were ever offered bolted to a single face plate like the 15 & 16's?
Found it. Same chassis design like my model 16.
030598cdbac2a94c8efabfeec82a1759.jpg

Guess I really stirred up a hornets nest with sheltie dave getting just a little excited even though we've established that the "1020" listed on eBay is a rocket and then having someone trying to sell a photo of one. It also appears to have gone off on a bit of a tangent. I have some Esotec gear and I do agree with sheltie dave that its more than just a a refresh. I don't know what was done to this range design wise but they look great, sound great and are very nicely put together.
I just love these conversations (seriously).

Guess I really stirred up a hornets nest with sheltie dave getting just a little excited even though we've established that the "1020" listed on eBay is a rocket and then having someone trying to sell a photo of one. It also appears to have gone off on a bit of a tangent. I have some Esotec gear and I do agree with sheltie dave that its more than just a a refresh. I don't know what was done to this range design wise but they look great, sound great and are very nicely put together.
I just love these conversations (seriously).
I definitely wasn't trying to ripp on the Esotic line. It is awesome stuff. I would probably trade my stacks of 70's Marantz gear for a set of Esotic mono blocks, matching preamp and scoped tuner.

To Marantz Japan's credit they did do a last ditch effort to save the brand in the 80's. Esotic models if I spelled it right. Refresh of the late 70's stuff and pretty to boot. The stuff goes for crazy money. A lot of the 80's Philips Marantz was craptastic.

They did some very cool stuff in the mid-90s under Phillips like the T-1 (stereo PP 845s) below as well as the 8B reissue. Wish I'd bought one of those...

ae011edadc06ea927fdd3717a7b6982d.jpg

If you read the second listing with the details carefully, it appears to be an attempt to let people know what the amp actually is... Ebay won't allow ads that aren't selling anything, hence the photo for sale?

AV, it was a couple other posts that created a little uncertainty as to the pedigree. Seeing a simple $400 AUS 6BM8 amp moving for $800AUS is concerning, as that illustrated the flimflam was gaining some traction for the sale. I just didn't want any uncertainty at all foisted here on AK, so nothing at all directed your way, mate. :)

The Japanese are very, very market attuned, and when Kenwood, Harman Kardon, Accuphase, Sansui, Onkyo, and others brought out the best of their best in superlative engineered gear, Marantz trotted out Esotec. All of these products are at least great, some are incredible, and some just make people fall over. Most of them only made it stateside for very brief periods and in very small numbers, but the Esotecs are one of the larger, and more reasonably priced examples. I have a PM5 integrated, and have two MA5 amps on loan, and they still sound great with minimal refurbishing.

Back
Top Bottom