Boston A400 8 inch Woofer Replacements?

absolve2525

The original owner had them refoamed by a shop, who did a lousy job. They refoamed from the back of the woofers instead of the front, and now two of the woofers are buzzing, even after refoaming with new Rick Cobb proper foams and aligning voice coils while I glued the foams. I've spent all week trying to fix one, and now a another has developed voice coil problems. Can't deal with this! Argh lol. So Im looking for some replacement suggestions. Are these 8ohm drivers? Im going to look through Parts Express catalog. Fortunately the midranges weren't damaged, and I already replaced ferrofluid in the tweeters, along with replacing all the caps. Since I can bi-amp, the woofers don't need to be an exact sensitivy match, but I'd like the specs to be close. Two woofers are still good, but who knows how long till they develop problems. Thanks for suggestions!

Recone with proper recone kit?

If not a viable option, even though it is the best way to go in my opinion, it's going to be ennie-meenie-miney-mo in the parts express catalog amongst whatever will fit.

I would be surprised if they could not be reconed.

Contact Simply Speakers.

I know they have a replacement Boston acoustics 8 in woofer, might be the same as what you have. If not, they can recone it. I am not a fan of simply speakers generally speaking, but they are a good last resort.

Did you contact BA? At one time they were selling replacement woofers, but they did have the poly cone as compared to the factory paper. There is some debate on which is preferable, I personally can't tell the difference.

Don't beat yourself up. Basket sag may be part of the trouble. I had a set of TF-350's, BOTH woofers had sagged for a decade. One still buzzed, but after a year, the buzz went away. I'm guessing the foam accomodated it or something. The other I simply replaced with one from MTX (who sells replacements, dropped right in).

I'd peruse that auction site.

I haven't tried contacting BA, but that's an idea. I don't mind poly cones. I saw that Simply Speakers replacement, but it's for series 2 models and doesn't fit the A400 (too wide). The original A400 woofers have a lead weight in the dust cap also, which I'm pretty sure the other BA woofers don't. Not that I expect an exact match, but I'd like to get something with low end extension. I've been looking on Ebay and Parts Express also. I've seen some members that replaced theirs with modern poly 8 inch units, but I haven't heard from any of those individuals. Aw well! Thanks

What's the impedance of the original A400 woofer? We need at least that info, in order to spec out a replacement. And as to that PE woofer, it's good, and it's spec's look good too. But, it's Qts of 0.42, might be a bit low for the Boston's. It could work, but the bass my seem a little tame, compared to stock. A Qts in a .6 to .8 range might work better, for you.

Also, maybe check out Human Speakers. They service EPI and Genesis speakers. Not dissimilar to Boston. Human offers a replacement 8" woofer. Call them. Maybe it could work?

Thanks for the reply! Im pretty sure it's an 8 ohm woofer. I'll measure one of the refoamed drivers to make sure.

Seems you will need to know something about the sensitivity of the originals as a start. If you're not going to rework the crossover then an impedance curve of the originals would also help. Use some box sim software with the volume of the cabinet and see what the predictions look like.
Good luck with the project,
John

Back
Top Bottom