Technical Aspects of the Insignia NS-B2111 $40 speakers

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
So since all the threads on the insignia speakers are so long and they don't seem to have a link to this thread that I recall, I thought I would post it for those that want to see Howard Roark's technical descriptions of these speakers. He has done some impressive work on these little speakers, including a crossover upgrade, cabinet reinforcement and frequency response testing.

http://www.soundenvironments.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70

With all that is written about these speakers on the asylum, S&V fourms, the above link, gr-research and here, it is easy to understand all the discussion of these speakers, people like them and they are cheap. I posted here in an earlier thread that they are cheaper than a tank of gas and you get to keep the speakers, so what is not to like?

In answering that question, Howard's work is helpful. These speakers will not play deep bass or very loud. Note the charts.

Yes, another Insignia thread. Let the discussions of the Technical aspects of this speaker continue. $35 a pair delivered is a price that allows me to keep them, even though they may not get much use...maybe the garage, it can use better speakers.

Thanks for the link, very good. Crossover mod is much simpler than the other linked in another thread.

Anyone tried these drivers in a different cab yet, instead of modding the original cab? TQWT?

I didn't see the values for the capacitors and the inductors he used. Is there a bill of materials somewhere else on the site?

macaltec said:
Now that would be interesting :scratch2:
I've just been thinking: The size and range of these drivers is very similar to the RS full-ranges that work so well in many of the TQWT designs. I do not know how the other measurements of this driver compare, but on those two counts you could just about drop it right in to most of the published designs for that RS driver. Being a coaxial design, some of the resonance issues would be eliminated with the Insignia driver (If I understand all this correctly), because the cone would not be reproducing the higher frequencies.

Just thinking out loud (and warming up the table saw :D ). Somebody stop me...

Old thread but picked up a pair for free and want to try this mod. Link is dead any info on this particular crossover mod?

Old thread but picked up a pair for free and want to try this mod. Link is dead any info on this particular crossover mod?
Did you search the web for other mods? GR research did something too, but I don't recall if they are the same mods as in the dead link.

saw the GR mod, going to do the cabinet but though this x-over mod would be simple.

I may have other links to the Insignias you have, will check when I get to my home PC. I found them when trying to find info on the model of Insignias that replaced yours - the NS-SP213.

Never did find out who designed the SP213s for Best Buy; they were discontinued for some strange reason, prob cause BBuy didn't even demo them.
Good for us that found them at firesale prices, as depending on your ears - they sound better than the much ballyhooed A. Jones Pio BS22s.

Back
Top Bottom