Another victim of poor turntable packing

Depecheduran

So I just received my ebay buy of a Kenwood KD-550. And to be fair, the seller was selling it as a parts table but said that it powered on and plinth spun. He also was very clear that it was as-is, no returns. But he packed the turntable badly. He or she did not remove the tonearm weight or the plinth. The weight came off and ping-ponged around inside the box and put a few chips in the base. The tonearm tube is really loose, the tonearm lift is bent and the whole arm itself was loose and moved around in the box during shipping. Now I knew that this was a parts table when I bought it. But poor packing made what parts were there and possibly working even more expensive to fix or replace. I sent a complaint to the seller. I took pics as I opened the box. We shall see what they say... But totally disappointed right now. And maybe happy that it was not an Infinity Black Widow tonearm that was destroyed.

Oh... and it does not power on or spin.

I guess I'm going to be running my KD-2055 longer that I planned.

Yeah, I like the Kenwoods.

Did you provide packing direction to the seller? I ask because I will not buy a table unless the seller agrees via eBay email they will do what I ask otherwise I do not buy. If they agree and do not do it I am covered. Besides I generally know more about packing these things than most sellers. Doesn't mean that's a fool proof solution but at least I stand the best chance of getting the table in the same condition it leaves the seller in.

Just because a turntable is listed on ebay as "for parts or repair" does not let the seller off the hook if it arrives damaged due to careless packing.

File a claim and include photos. Ebay will side with you. Just make sure that if the seller refuses to email you a return shipping label, you let ebay know. They will do so if the seller does not.

Well my reply came from the seller...
-----
New message from: g*****2 (6,178)
"I want to thank you for the tutorial on packing turntables. I watch it and will follow the instuctions from now on. I have very limited experience with packing turntables. Thank you again D"

-----

No apolgy... No offers to refund... just a thanks for sending a link to help with future turntable packing.

Complaint is being filed.

Did you provide packing direction to the seller? I ask because I will not buy a table unless the seller agrees via eBay email they will do what I ask otherwise I do not buy. If they agree and do not do it I am covered. Besides I generally know more about packing these things than most sellers. Doesn't mean that's a fool proof solution but at least I stand the best chance of getting the table in the same condition it leaves the seller in.

I will from now on...

When I read his description of the table a red flag popped up for me. He probably thought since the table was a parts unit that it didn't matter how it was packed, which is BS............. File a claim and leave appropriate feedback.

So I just received my ebay buy of a Kenwood KD-550. And to be fair, the seller was selling it as a parts table but said that it powered on and plinth spun. He also was very clear that it was as-is, no returns. But he packed the turntable badly. He or she did not remove the tonearm weight or the plinth.

For future reference, the plinth is the base of the turntable, and the platter is the part that spins.

This happens far too often. The sad part is a very nice turntable ends up being scrapped or at best relegated to something you wouldn't be proud to show off. To be fair I have had some tables packed extremely well and others even though I explained how it should be done arrived in bad shape. I have had many come with the counterweight bouncing around inside and the platter loose. I have a (used to be very nice) Yamaha YP-800 come with the cover broken and the anti skate mechanism completely wrecked. I feel your pain my friend. eBay will come good for the cost but that only gives you your money back and a great table is toasted.

"Parts" table is the latest cover/excuse for attempting to short cut the system, just like the BS re having the the table "professionally" packaged by shipping companies that are clueless in an attempt to shift responsibility. A few simple questions would of eliminated this seller as being unsuitable to purchase from.

I know your pain, I too am a victim of poor turntable packaging. I bought a Pioneer PL 300, not quite a KD-550 but it was supposed to be an upgrade over the 'deck I had before. Now as the others said, I always give instructions to sellers on how to pack before they send them, Tonearm taped to its rest arm, packing material placed under and on top of the platter to hold it securely, lid taped down except for turntables with a veneered plinth and counterweight removed and wrapped in bubblewrap placed in the box with the turntable also wrapped heavily in bubblewrap. That's also how I ship my turntables if I ever sell them on, only with hard foam on the corners aswell.

I once bought a Technics SL-1350, advertised as "for parts". The seller placed the turntable in a large box, with no packing at all, so it bounced around the whole way! When it was delivered, the box sounded like a bunch of scrap metal. Nothing was salvageable except some internal boards. WTF?

I once bought a Technics SL-1350, advertised as "for parts". The seller placed the turntable in a large box, with no packing at all, so it bounced around the whole way! When it was delivered, the box sounded like a bunch of scrap metal. Nothing was salvageable except some internal boards. WTF?

Did you send it back the same way?....:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom