Which system to listen to?

kjc2260

Im new, hope this is the correct location to pose this question-for those of you who have more than one system, what makes you decide which system to listen to? Is it the type of music, your mood, what? For me, it’s a little of both. If I’m going to just sit and listen, I choose the Time Windows/Sansui. If I want some tunes on while I’m doing other stuff, I typically choose the Advents/Kenwood. If I want loud, I usually crank up my Klipsch.

Mine is location. I have an upstairs, and a downstairs setup. I was messing around with speaker/amp combinations today and actually listened to both. Another factor is the majority of my Albums and CD's are upstairs, although I have 50 or so albums downstairs. Also, if I'm home alone, I listen downstairs.

My main system is in the family room, facing kitchen it runs 80% of the time, garage system when I'm outside, basement sometimes.

For me ... it's all about functionality. I choose the system that best fits my needs at the time.

Also ... I know the strengths & weakness of my rigs ... so there is that too ..
right tool for the job.

Last edited:
Den (signature) system for when I'm in there, which represents the lion's share of my listening. Master bedroom system (Emotiva, Adcom, Forte speakers) for sleep-listening. Guest bedroom when in the mood to listen to small two-way bookshelf speakers - currently Elac B6. MIL has a Cambridge Audio receiver with Minimus 7s - I never go in there, and it is used for TV sound, never just music.

Pretty much location. Although media sometimes comes into play. The garage and library are OTA only but I have 23 stations to choose from so radio only doesn't bother me in the least.
CDs I listen to in the car or on the main system.

Pretty much location for me too, but I almost always have a second system in between the living room and the dining room. My critical listening system, is in the sound proofed family room (really man cave now) in the basement and includes two turntables for comparing duplicates. My casual system is in the living room, where I spend most of my time. I'm also very lucky to have a wife that enjoys variety and high quality sound, so my system under assessment does not create any issues.

At least not yet. I clean the assessment system off the dining room table every now and then for special occasions, etc. I've been doing this as long as we've known each other, well before we married.

Location for sure. I have 5 vintage systems in my house so depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing dictates which to use. Though the Spec system is my best, the others are not far behind.

i always run 2 systems...1 tube & 1 SS...so depending on the mood & style of music, i make my choice.

HT system in the living room if I want to watch anything. Rarely use the turntable there. If it is music I want to enjoy, it is the system in my bedroom. Time of day determines if I use the speakers or the head phones.

Interesting responses. I have 7 vintage systems, 6 in the basement and one in the bedroom. The one in the bedroom my wife uses all the time so that leaves me the stuff in the basement. I’m like most on here and only use the HT system when I’m watching something. I will add that music type and recording quality determine which system I use for the most part.

Mostly location, but if I want to listen to Pandora I have to use one of 2 systems that are not my main rig.

When it's time for me to kick back, tip a few cold ones and critically listen I turn on my main rig:beerchug:. For background-computer listening it's my Mac D100-MC2255-ADS1530's rig which is where I do 90% of my listening. 3rd system is a Mac rotation rig that I mess around with out of boredom every few months.

Location. Living room system gets used when I'm in the living room and want to play music... basement system gets used when I just want to listen to music.

I have the main system and the bedroom system which makes the choice fairly easy. Music? Main system. Podcasts before bed? Bedroom system.

i do try to use all my gear a couple times a year so sometimes my choice is do to rotation, but i find that different types of music sound better with certain types of gear so a lot of times i put together a system based on what type of music and volume im the the mood for like Jazz, Rock, Blues etc. and what type of instruments like horns or heavy guitar. i change systems at least once a week sometimes 2 or 3 times. i do have some favorites that get more of the time though.

Choice of music is the primary factor. The 3w tube amp with single driver fostex doesn't do well with hard rock and rap.

I listen to whatever's hooked up. Ready access to multi systems is not possible in a one bedroom apartment that's crammed with old stereo gear, records & tapes.

Arbitrarily swapping things around has become a hassle so I tend to stay with what I consider the best I have at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom