Was itching for HD 600s but

The HD 600 shows noticeable more treble, but would that translate into significant improvement in sound over the others? Significant enough improvement to plunk down an additional $300? What says the people who have these? Or what say those with an opinion?

An additional $300? HD600 cans can be bought brand new for less than $300. Where are you buying them from? I have a pair and love them. I bought mine used for $200.
There are times though, when I can't use the open backs, so I use my HD280 PRO closed backs.

I've read online reviews where some people preferred the HD600 to the HD650. I have not heard the HD650 myself.

I have a pair of 600s and a pair of Massdrop HD6xx (HD650 with cosmetic changes) and will compare them once they are very well broken in. I've heard them both but the 600s were very well broken in and the 650s were a demo pair at a place where they probably didn't see many demos.

The general take is that the 650s have a bit of a bass boost, but not distracting at all. The bass on the 600s is extended and very high quality in my opinion, but it's not prominent. Stuff like Daft Punk always seems to need a boost.

The 600s were criticized as too bright for many users so that was tamed just a pinch in the 650. Sennheiser continued to sell the 600s after the 650s were released and have sold plenty of each. The 650s are not a replacement or even an 'update' to the 600s. It's just a different tuning. Slightly less air/detail and slightly more bottom end. Both are plenty detailed for most folks.

Love my HD650. Just ordered the HD800 on closeout. Looking forward to listening to them both through my system.

My HD800 arrived this morning and they sound fantastic, however they are going back.

After about 1 hour of listening, I noticed a lot of "swivel" in the right cup; much more so than the left.
Removed them and noticed there is a round fastener on each cup top . The top fastener on the right side, was protruding out and while the left side was completely flush.

Spoke with Chris at MD, they issued RMA and will replace. Hopefully I have better luck with the next pair, 'cause I really like them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom