We are so screwed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DustyOldPile

Vinyl Goddess
Some of you who've read of a lot of my postings probably have picked up that my milk of human kindness is sometimes far past the expiration date.

Here's an example of why.

At my place of employment, we have a different food service vendor come in every day with a small menu of items available, rather than have a single cafeteria service. I usually bring a salad from home, but on Thursdays, that vendor has a nice big salad bar, so it's the one day per week that I partake of the service.

Normally, you fill your plate up with salad and fixings, then you set it on a scale, which is tied in with the cash register. The salad is sold by weight, so I pay my roughly 3 dollars and am on my merry way.

Today, a millennial girl was handling the money and sales. The cash register was not operational for some reason, and a big long line had formed as she tried to handle things. At first, I felt a little sorry for her, until it was my turn to pay and discovered that her way of handling it was to charge everyone 6 dollars for their salad, no matter what it weighed. Now I already had my salad made up and, though I could have quibbled about it not being my problem that their cash register didn't work, so maybe they should charge everyone a lesser amount instead of punishing us for their problem, but then the icing on the cake came...

I handed her a 10 dollar bill. She grabbed her iPhone with the calculator app open AND PROCEEDED TO SUBTRACT 6 FROM 10 as if she were trying to do trigonometry, then looked at the result, almost shocked, and said, "Uh, 4 dollars is your change".

Folks, when people in their twenties cannot subtract 6 from 10 without a calculator, we are in A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE.

Last edited:
Based on your anecdotal evidence and massive sample size one would have to conclude (nothing, the same size is too small).

To be fair, good point of sale systems are essentially data entry systems. It make price. You count tender. It tell change. They make them almost easy enough that somebody who doesn’t know what numbers are could use them. Mental math simply does not factor into a cashiers ability to do their job when everything is working properly.

LOL
Let's hope that cashier is an anomaly- imagine her behind the wheel of a 4000lb SUV at a 4 way intersection when the traffic signal is out.
, I can remember as a child we had a 4-way stop sign at our corner. $ cars arrived at similar times and they each waved the other to go....well they all went at the same time, luckily it was not a fatal four way.

I do maths everyday and work with people that do the same. Heck, I have a printing calculator on my desk although for most stuff I do, I just punch it into Excel.

Quickly, one can spot those that don't get it; it's as if the values they're looking at or discussing have no actual meaning - to them, it's as if they're looking at characters in the Russian alphabet. 10, 6, 4 are just things that have no relationship to each other, that's why you need a calculator to figure them out.

Murray

Let's hope that cashier is an anomaly- imagine her behind the wheel of a 4000lb SUV at a 4 way intersection when the traffic signal is out.

I’d say half the people on the road regardless of age do not know what to do in that particular situation. I go through a three way intersection twice a day that’s a two way stop, with the third way being right of way. The norm is for the stop sign to be blown while the folks in the third lane stop next to the sign telling them NOT TO STOP.

I find it hard to believe that she could not do simple math. How about this:

1) The system that she was accustomed to was unavailable.
2) Longer than normal lines formed, creating a bad situation for both parties (upset customers, frantic Cashier)
3) She is not the type to handle a tense situation well. Plenty of folks out there that lack grace under pressure
4) She used her phone as a way to avoid eye contact with already irritable customers. She may even be introverted. Some folks are uncomfortable with eye contact.
5) She has some sort of disability.

Not being able to subtract 6 from 10? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom