TEAC Tn300 unusual amplification

Pioneerhead

Hello,
I just purchased the TN-300 and noticed something unusual. When the TT is playing, and I touch any part of the TT (base), that contact sound is amplified through my speakers. It's as if I was touching the stylus itself. Is this unusual or normal? This happens whether I have the built-in pre-amp on or not. Is the platter not isolated enough from the stylus during play? Would appreciate any suggestion if I have set up something wrong. Thanks.

Don't touch it then. I'm terribly sorry to inform you that you're simply going to have to live with it. That is the tell tale sign of cheaply mass produced modern turntables, however fancy and appealing in appearance.
They lack the means of proper environment isolation and their chassis and plinth are typically cheap thin plastic and so is the tonearm base and whatever couples it from the deck.
In other words, they pick up not just what's in the groove, but also what's around the turntable. Your best option is to give up the tapping tests and experimental noise induction explorations
reserved for suspended turntables and better isolated decks and just enjoy it as is.

Thanks. Revealing my age here, but I remembered I had a Dual TT, and a Pioneer PL 12D back in the late 70s, and I don't remember having this experience. This is sort of important to me because I record my vinyls to a Reel to Reel. When I press Pause to stop or start the recording, the solanoid actuation vibration ("thunking" sound) from the RR is recorded on the tape.If that's the case, are there any TTs under $500 that doesn't do this or do I have to go towards the $1K range.

You're gonna have to go higher or go vintage, or just use longer cables to get the RR far away from the TT and preferably not on the same surface.

You're gonna have to go higher or go vintage, or just use longer cables to get the RR far away from the TT and preferably not on the same surface.

What he said. :)

Also, you can start the RTR deck out of pause/rec with the level controls down and quickly bring them up before the music commences- that avoids any thumps or sudden noises.

Hadn't thought about managing the recording levels. I will have to do this. Currently RTR dimensions make it difficult to move RTR to a different plane other than that of the TT. Just out curiousity, what is it in the vintage TTs that would prevent this issue. I used to do a lot of recording back in the 70s with my TEAC A2300 SD and never had this problem. Sad state that a $500 TT is still not good enough. Thanks for all the useful suggestions.

Hello,
I just purchased the TN-300 and noticed something unusual. When the TT is playing, and I touch any part of the TT (base), that contact sound is amplified through my speakers. It's as if I was touching the stylus itself. Is this unusual or normal? This happens whether I have the built-in pre-amp on or not. Is the platter not isolated enough from the stylus during play? Would appreciate any suggestion if I have set up something wrong. Thanks.
Very unusual! If you just purchased it, can't you return it to the dealer and choose a different model, or at least see if his floor sample has the same issue? I must say I haven't experienced what you're going through, either with my current Rega RP3 or even with the more modest Denon DP-300F. On either one I can handle the turntable while a record is playing with no sounds of that contact being transmitted, whether raising or lowering the dust cover, resting my hand on the plinth to cue by hand, using the cueing lever, or using the stop/return controls on the Denon. I can say the same for other low-cost turntables, such as one friend's Rega P1 and another's Music Hall USB-1.

I actually bought it on Amazon a couple of months ago. Probably too late to return it. I sort of noticed it in the beginning but was thinking it was normal. When I started recording to my RTR is when I realized it wasn't normal. Had been trying to fix it but was unsuccessful and that's when I posted on this forum. It does seem to be a very unusual issue.

I dig you man. It's disappointing. It is a rather good looking turntable so here's a little suggestion that might work if you're sorta DIY man and can handle a pair of scissors, some contact cement and prove handy with a screw driver.
It's a simple mitigation for the lousy isolation. In short, stuff it full of bitumen sheets until you've added twice the mass to it. Just open it up, clear your way through the inside of the chassis by separating the motor and whatever simple
mechanics and PCB's is in there, and glue bitumen sheets to the inside of the deck. Leave room to reassemble the components you take out. Then, coat the bottom with bitumen too. If you can, disassemble the tonearm, see if you can insert
a thin sorbotan sheet between the base and the plinth without interfering with the tonearm mobility. This bitumen stuff is also available as a product called 'Dynamat' but it's rather expensive and tends to leak tar on hot days.
Roofing isolation sheets are a common alternative. You do that, and manage to put back everything inside the chassis in order, there's a very good chance you'll solve the isolation problem. It sounds hard, but it's just
some cutting and gluing really. It's probably the cheapest solution too. Give it a shot - what do you got to lose...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this idea. I am curious if this is design issue or did I just get a lemon. I have been searching on the internet but have not seen any TN-300 owners mention this same issue. If any of you own a Tn-300, please chime in if you have experienced my issue. Thanks.

My opinion is that it's a "feature" not a one-off thing. Your situation might be worse than others and many may not have remarked on it perhaps due to unfamiliarity with other turntables.

An alternative to the bitumen is modelling clay. You can get that in Michael's or maybe even a dollar store (I got some there). It can be pressed into cavities easily.

OP your not the first guy returning to turntables after many years expecting to find the same level of quality/performance for $500. New tables in this price range are built to the lowest cheapest standards with little to no quality control catering to first time buyers with no prior turntable experience. $500 should purchase a very good condition "midfi" vintage table that will run rings around the new junk turntables.

A big RTR thumping its solenoids on any surface next to a TT of any type will transfer some noise to the recording- especially in the lead in of the record.

Go with the quick fade up after the mechanism has done its thing, your problems will be solved. :)

My trial plan is to relocated the RTR to a lower level shelf, and also try the quick-fade method. Will report back with any results, good or bad. Thanks all.

I think you got a Lemon, mine has had no issues for the two years I've had it, i am looking to upgrade now though and it''s impossible to pick just one.

You might try putting the turntable on Iso Pods to dampen some of the vibrations. Or maybe build a wall shelf for the table.
Many if not most non suspended turntables will transfer sound through the speakers when you tap the plinth.

You might try putting the turntable on Iso Pods to dampen some of the vibrations. Or maybe build a wall shelf for the table.
Many if not most non suspended turntables will transfer sound through the speakers when you tap the plinth.
Adding dampening to the TT feet should help, but getting the RTR off of the same cabinet or shelving unit as your TT should help even more.

Back
Top Bottom