We are so screwed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a gas station/deli near here with touch screen registors. If the clerk enters something wrong it lets out an audible "uh-oh" in a small sing-song voice.
You can always tell if the clerk is new when the register says "uh-oh" over and over as the screen its tapped repeatedly. :rflmao:

Worse than sad.

Most fast food restaurants don't even have numbers on their register - they have photo buttons of the menu items for the cashier to push.

Soon enough they will be 100% automated and there won't be any people working a register at all. This is the world we are moving into.

McDonald's, here in Windsor, has 'self-service' kiosks, that let you order your food, and pay for it, electronically, Debit, CC, gift card, paypal, Applpay, Androidpay. Anything but cash. You get a slip with a number on it, and your order appears, either in a bag or on a tray.

McDonalds figured it out that anyone willing to work for min wage might not have all their faculties together in the education and or IQ dept. Thus they have been putting pictures of cheeseburgers on keys for a good long while, maybe even back to the time when the BB geniuses ran the registers..

Today, a millennial girl was handling the money and sales.

I handed her a 10 dollar bill. She grabbed her iPhone with the calculator app open AND PROCEEDED TO SUBTRACT 6 FROM 10 as if she were trying to do trigonometry, then looked at the result, almost shocked, and said, "Uh, 4 dollars is your change".

Folks, when people in their twenties cannot subtract 6 from 10 without a calculator, we are in A WHOLE LOT OF TROUBLE.

Well first and foremost, if anyone of any age cannot subtract 6 from 10 without a calculator that's a problem....

Second, don't generalize. I have boys that are 23, 21, and 16. All excel at math. Like any other generation there are the smart ones.... and the not so smart ones.

You wanna really freak them out? I showed my grand kids my old slide rule. They couldn't believe anyone could ever use that. Heck, I pretty much forgot a lot of the finer points myself.

And, speaking of my grand kids, I love them dearly but sometimes I want to throttle my 15 year old granddaughter. We'll be trying to converse and she's constantly staring at her Iphone, snap chatting, texting, or whatever, and she'll look up and ask what some word means. When I say google it, she says it's easier to ask someone what it means.

You want to see steam come out of my ears???

Technology is causing the dumbing down across all ages. From remembering phone numbers spelling to finding ones way across town. The young just don't have the life experiences to fall back on, or may not even have to begin with. Try giving a ten dollar bill and two quarters and a penny at a drive up window on a six dollar and thirty one cents tab. Almost see the headache coming on at the other end.

Barney

Schools for the most part aren't teaching fundamentals anymore. These are the things that are necessary throughout life and they're not getting it.

I retired earlier this year and the place started expanding a few years earlier so I got to work around quite a few millennials. There were very few that could do math. I'm even talking about the ones that you know are intelligent. They aren't being taught and they have a calculator for all of the answers.

On occasion while waiting in a checkout line and I only have two or three items I'll add them up in my head and then figure the tax the same way. When it comes time to pay and I have the exact amount ready to pay they usually can't figure out how somebody could do that.

I teach HS math, and we use calculators maybe twice every year. It's appalling how low the bar is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom