JBL L166 crossover recap

jake

JBL L166 crossovers have 8uF and 4uF. I am planning to change the original caps with Clarity caps but I couldn't find those exact capacitance values. Is it OK to use 8.2uF and 3.9uF then? Thanks.

Sure. The original caps were probably spec’ed plus or minus 10% anyway, so you’re well within the original specs.

What color are your grills? I still want to find some orange Horizons.

JBL L166 crossovers have 8uF and 4uF. I am planning to change the original caps with Clarity caps but I couldn't find those exact capacitance values. Is it OK to use 8.2uF and 3.9uF then? Thanks.

If you're willing to consider other brands, Sonicap Gen1s come in 8uF and 4uF.

Another option for the 4uF would be to bypass the 3.9uF ClarityCap with a 0.1uF Vishay-Roederstein MKP1837. That's exactly what I'm going to do with a pair of KLH 23s I am restoring (3.9uF ClarityCap PX bypassed with 0.1uF MKP1837).

Do us a favor and recap one first and then compare it to the original. There's a lot of re-capping advice on anything with age on it that I suspect is promoting unnecessary work and expense. It would be nice to have some first-hand observations. Thanks

Deciding when to recap can be tough, as there's no timer built into our speakers, telling us the amount of hours the speakers have been used. Some pro gear has an hour counter, and I always thought it was a great feature!

As I've mentioned (too many times), I recapped my Acoustic Research AR90 speakers this year. My 90's used the dreaded red/black Callins brand of capacitors. So, me changing them was mainly a maintenance restore, as I 'thought' the speakers sounded fine. Well, after one crossover board was recapped, but before I reassembled the speaker, I tested an upper dome mid, on the new crossover, against an untouched speaker. Night and day difference. The new crossover sounded so much cleaner, clearer, and transparent. It sounded if the dome had much greater bandwidth as well. I heard more high end, from the single dome, compared to the stock speaker, with the mid and tweeter in circuit. I was shocked. During the test, my son wandered through, and stated, "there's less static" too. Static, I didn't hear static, until he pointed it out? I guess I was too used to the faults of the speakers, to where I no longer noticed the distortion.

One other thing, I recently picked up a pair of AR58s speakers. They use the same mids and tweeters as my 90's. But, a different brand of capacitors. Roughly the same age as the 90's, and they sound fine. Much better than my 90's, prior to the recap. Still, while Madisound and Parts Connexion are having capacitor sales, I plan on buying the parts for a 58 recap. Why not?

There is an interesting thread here on the old JBL Mylar caps, with links to other interesting threads:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...4301-and-other-70-80-s-era-paging-4313B-or-GT

The nice thing about those crossovers is it would be easy to install new caps without physically removing the old ones; swapping back and forth would entail just changing four connections; you could even do it with a switch or a movable jumpers.

Excellent link. I was going to mention that in spite of unsubstantiated claims to the contrary, it has been mentioned several times in the Lansing Heritage forums that there is no magic in those 40-year old vintage JBL caps. They were mylar film encased wax filled cardboard tubes - nothing more. The response at the link you provided is spot on. The JBL mylar caps were good for their time, but are certainly nothing special compared to inexpensive modern metalized polypropylene capacitors. Capacitor technology has improved (and costs come down) in the last 40 years.

Plus, unless the OP is the original owner, you have no idea what sort of abuse those original caps may have endured over the last 40 years I've posted this photo in another thread, but here's what the original caps in my 4301Bs looked like when I purchased them a couple months ago:

JBL_4301_B_4.jpg

Needless to say, I replaced them without hesitation or regret.

Last edited:
BTW, I recap all of my vintage speakers, at least the ones I plan to keep. I actually enjoy rebuilding crossovers. I find it therapeutic, relaxing and enjoyable.

Unless you go nuts with super expensive boutique caps, it's usually pretty inexpensive, and for me, it's worth the peace of mind knowing that I don't have any out of spec, or inferior quality 40-year old capacitors holding my speakers back from reaching their maximum potential.

I haven't done any scientifically or statistically relevant before and after comparisons, but to my ears, I have yet to have a pair of vintage speakers sound worse after a recap, and in most cases, they sound significantly better. Perhaps there is some confirmation bias at play, but at the very least, I find it a worthwhile exercise for my own peace of mind.

Hopefully I can revive this old thread, haha. Looking to recap my horizons as well(also looking for some orange grills:naughty:). But noticed on an audio heritage thread from 2008, that someone mentioned bypassing the mid and tweeter? Looking to do this right and if there's simple improvements to be done, would love to seize the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom