Advice for an old man?

Ripshift

Looking for input on headphones for use with my pioneer '70s sa-9100 amp and directly from my tx-8100 tuner and Sony CD player from the early '90s
After readin' till my eyes were bleedin' and I'm thinking senni HD 650? I'd like to go for the HD 660s but wondering how they would sound at 150 ohm with my old equipment? Should probably stay at 300 or more?

My 300-600 ohm headphones seem to respond better with my vintage gear than my other,low-ohm headphones.That being said,theres a couple things to consider....

The HD660 is double the cash...the HD650 price is tumbling,making it an insanely good deal.

Regardless of which you choose if for whatever reason you dont like them they can be easily flipped.Sennheisers hold their value.

I’ve got the 650’s plugged into a Pioneer receiver with wonderful results. I use them with an A/V Receiver for DVD, CD, LP, XBOX, cassette, radio and even satellite television. Sold the rest of my headphones....

I'll be watching for a Black Friday deal on the 650
Thanks for the advice! Kinda what all the reading was telling me!

Very old fart here. :cool: HD650 is a wonderful headphone. Tough to beat at it's respective price point.

If you shop around you can find some good bargains on the HD650 and HD800.
Be sure to check Music Direct.

I had the opportunity to listen to several hi-fi cans at the local Crutchfield store a couple of years ago when I was replacing my HD280 due to the pressure on my skull! I tried Hifiman and several others on display with retail prices over $1000. Before reading all the discussion on-line I determined the HD598 was my favorite regardless of price but I hated the ivory and wood look, so I did nothing for a while. Then Amazon had them on a black-friday style sale for I believe $98 and I just hit the button. I've enjoyed them so much I purchased the SE version when Amazon had those on sale for the same price with two cables included. I think for your application the 50ohm 598 might actually work better . . . and cost you less. I'd certainly give them a try.

Advice from another old guy! (Got my Medicare card in the mail last week!)

Picked up an HD800 on close out for a great price.

Arrived, enjoyed for about an hour and then noticed the "bolt/pin" holding the right earpiece was popping out.
Packed 'em up and returned to dealer. Dealer immediately sent out a replacement , hopefully with no issues.

Really liked the HD800. soundstage was remarkable.

Back
Top Bottom