Audio system fund distribution/allotment

Harry Baules

If you were putting together a whole new 2-channel stereo system, how would you distribute your cash on hand, percentage-wise? And where would you begin to put together that system - with the speakers or amp?

For example:
Speakers: 25%
Amp: 20%
Preamp: 20%
CD: 20%
DAC: 10%
Cables: 5%

Feel free to add or remove components and show how you would budget it. Also, if you choose to go used would the percentages change?

For the record, I'm NOT putting together anything anytime soon. But I do like to daydream and research a lot ;)

Receiver: 50% (equivalent to DAC, Preamp, Amp)
Speakers: 50%
Apple AirPort Express (A1264): $15
iTunes, disk storage, networking: free or already in place.
Cables: $4 in generic 14ga, copper, $2 for a 3' optical, and $3.50 for Monoprice banana jacks.
Oh, and 15 minutes to apply for a library card to access an unlimited number of rippable CDs.

Last edited:
If you were putting together a whole new 2-channel stereo system, how would you distribute your cash on hand, percentage-wise? And where would you begin to put together that system - with the speakers or amp?

For example:

Feel free to add or remove components and show how you would budget it. Also, if you choose to go used would the percentages change?

For the record, I'm NOT putting together anything anytime soon. But I do like to daydream and research a lot ;)
Audio systems are tailored to the individuals wants/needs so any such formulas are meaningless in a real world way.

Speakers and (if you’re vinyl oriented) the phono cartridge IMHO are the critical aspects of a system.
Also, many underestimate the importance of proper room acoustics - which often is a difficult aspect to address, especially if you want to stay married.

Speakers and source (especially because I am of the ''analog'' persuasion) get most of my money. If you'll pardon the pun,these set the tone of the system.

For example:

Speakers are THE most important.
Everything else you can upgrade at leisure around them but Speakers are the key.

You could, for example, buy a cheap chip amp Lepai makes a 30$ 20 watt amp that is amazing within its power envelope, and a 100$ 100 wpc amp that is stunning.7498 is hte 100$ job, and I will put it up against any amp under a grand on the best speakers you or anyone has.

Buy the best speakers you can now
price does not always equal quality on speakers, but is a good rule of thumb.

It can take a long time to find the speakers you like the best. Source units can be had for next to nothing, so spend 70/30 or 50/50 initially on amplifier and preamp using whatever speakers you can scrounge up. Then take your time trying new things upgrading as opportunities and finances come along.

Interesting question as this changes for me depending on living circumstances and what's on the market that I have reason to think would be suitable for me. The last time I actually set out to put together a complete 2-channel system was about a decade ago, and the breakdown turned out to be:

turntable: 44%
phono stage: 7%
cartridge: 5%
preamp/power amp: 30%
speakers: 15%
cables: virtually nothing (generic-type interconnects and 16 gauge zip cord)

To answer the question of where I begin, for me it starts with the sonic priorities I want to emphasize in the system (in the system breakdown above, I was really interested in putting together a system that would bring out more in the way of soundstage/imaging characteristics, something I never really experienced in the nearly 20 years I had used an all-Linn system), then looking at what products are available to match those priorities at a cost I could reasonably allocate. I also put that system together during President Bush's economic stimulus plans and his plea for people in the United States to buy American, so every component had to be made in the USA (and I went with products from the older, now-defunct Well Tempered line, Grado, Audio by Van Alstine, and Vandersteen). The system was successful in achieving the goals I had set for it, and it was fun to experience hifi in a way I hadn't previously, but within a few years I was making changes that exchanged the cool stereo effects for a greater emphasis on pace, rhythm, and dynamics.

My circumstances are quite different today with respect to living space, desired audio goals, the amount of money I'm willing to spend (less now than formerly), and available products. A system that I could well imagine enjoying (and have several of the pieces to now) would break down like this:

turntable: 42%
phono stage: 22%
cartridge: 4%
integrated amp: 12%
cd player: 8%
speakers: 10%
cables: virtually nothing (generic-type interconnects and 16 gauge zip cord)

This system is about 1/3 the cost of the other and uses products from Rega, Audio by Van Alstine, Shure, Onkyo, and Bose. What I'm finding for myself as I grow older is that as long as I have a turntable/phono stage combination that does a good job with pace, rhythm, and dynamics (and I'm finding complete satisfaction in the reasonably-priced Rega RP3), I can use very modest amplification and speakers to get sound I find extremely compelling, easily drawn into the performances and never wanting a listening session to end.

for an analogue system..
source 50% ( any 3 point suspended turntable and a decent budget cartridge obsessively well aligned to null points )
amp 40 % ( a decent 50 watter...vintage watts refurbished makes more sense than buying new)
speakers 10% ( the current used market makes buying new unnecessary... you can pick up some wonderful 2way 'Brit Boxes' from the mid 80s onwards ..Wharfedale, B&W, Celestion , Mission, Mordaunt Short, Kef, Tannoy, Castle , Epos etc... that still make fine music in a typical domestic setting... )

speaker cables .. copper is copper, good ole 79 strand or more will do..
spiked speaker stands if using two ways .

for an analogue system..
source 50% ( any 3 point suspended turntable and a decent budget cartridge obsessively well aligned to null points )
amp 40 % ( a decent 50 watter...vintage watts refurbished makes more sense than buying new)
speakers 10% ( the current used market makes buying new unnecessary... you can pick up some wonderful 2way 'Brit Boxes' from the mid 80s onwards ..Wharfedale, B&W, Celestion , Mission, Mordaunt Short, Kef, Tannoy, Castle , Epos etc... that still make fine music in a typical domestic setting... )

speaker cables .. copper is copper, good ole 79 strand or more will do..
spiked speaker stands if using two ways .
Now that's just plain silly. :rolleyes:

100% allocation to 2-channel stereo system with funds dispersed per component as needed within budget to achieve your own personal audio nirvana.

That was easy. :thumbsup:

images

Last edited:
Analog front end - 50%, everything else - 50%.
For the former: turntable/arm - 40%, cartridge 30%, phono preamp 30%.
For the latter: speakers 50%, preamp 25%, amp 25%

The entire idea presupposes a certain level of funding. In today's world, I'd say I'd pay special attention to the speakers, not necessarily to spend a specific amount of money, but to buy the best value possible so as to leave as much as possible for the amp/preamp and other components.

Back
Top Bottom