OHM F's or ESS AMT1B's? Both for sale locally. Both rebuilt at Miller.

kve777

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've been looking around for a nice pair of speakers to go with my Marantz PM-94. I really like the detail of the PM-94, especially at lower volume. Why not? It's Class A there. There are a bunch of nice speakers for sale nearby- Some big Polk's, some ESL-63's, but I really like the idea of trying either Ohm F's or AMT1B's. I hate any kind of screeching or squealing highs. I like solid bass, not boomy or flubby. (Who does?) I listen to mostly classic rock and female vocalist music. DSOTM is a favorite. Both pairs have been serviced at Miller Sound and are available for about a grand. ESS' are a bit cheaper, but further away. I do have some serious power, in the way of Carver TFM-42 amps, if needed, for the F's.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Anything else I should be looking for?

Really! Good to know. I have yet to hear ESS AMT's, but I do remember Harry Weisfeld's Double F's sounding magical when I was at his house a few years back. I wonder if he still has them...:idea:

I’ve been talking to that seller for a week or so now - I’m trying to buy those F’s too!

I am trying to work out pickup as I am unfortunately about 2:45 from the seller. @kve777 I know you’re further south than I am - I think you should go with the AMT’s!

:D

For the F's, see if the seller knows what Bill did to the speakers. Was it a complete overhaul with new voice coil? Just foam replacement? That will speak to the value. I'm loving my Millersound refurbished F's - they are better than new.

Last edited:
regardless of what was done as long as they play well they are worth the asking.. New VC is not neccesary unless there is VC damage.

QUOTE from ad: "I have for sale a pair of Ohm model F speakers that have been totally rebuilt by the legendary Bill LeGall at Millersound. They are absolutely among the best speakers ever produced. I am very reluctant to sell them but I do need to move them at this time. Bill is one of the best kind of people you ever would want to meet and he did an unbelievable job on this pair. He rebuilt the voice coils, spiders, interconnects, foam surrounds, and everything inside the cone that is essential to aligning of the cone among other acoustic qualities. Bill even said that he thought that these might have been the best sounding pair of F's that he's ever rebuilt. He might have said that to make me feel better about spending the money for the rebuild but they are worth every penny. They are some of the best speakers you will ever hear and if you check them out you will not be disappointed. I will post pictures tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions."

I’m afraid you waited too long to jump on the Fs. They’re likely already gone.

That price for a professionally restored set is a steal and you won’t hear a speaker that can do anything like them.

But good luck!

I’m afraid you waited too long to jump on the Fs. They’re likely already gone.

That price for a professionally restored set is a steal and you won’t hear a speaker that can do anything like them.

But good luck!

Yes they are gone...

:(

Because I’m going to pick them up on Friday!

:bigok:

The seller told me he just today bought another set of F’s that he’s going to have restored - he’s a real Ohm junkie.
The good news for the other interested Jersey buyers is I usually change speakers like I change underwear - once a week! :thumbsup:

I must say you dudes w/ Fs are very lucky to own them and must have really big family or great rooms in your house. I, on the other hand live in a rented 1 bdrm apt have not counting my Klipsch H/T smalls 4 working sets and 1 of those is the Ohm L book ender. I really would love to flip some sets and get a set of Ohm/Walsh 2xo. Not my dream speaker but close and because of logistics couldn't really go much bigger.The speakers I crave for would be Vandersteen 3a Sigs and as the review in Stereophile Magazine a ways back says they do everything right and have few detractors.

Yes they are gone...

:(

Because I’m going to pick them up on Friday!

:bigok:

The seller told me he just today bought another set of F’s that he’s going to have restored - he’s a real Ohm junkie.
The good news for the other interested Jersey buyers is I usually change speakers like I change underwear - once a week! :thumbsup:
Awesome! Of course we expect lots of pics, and the obligatory video for the video thread!

leftfielder - I had my first set of Ohm F's in my dorm room at college! Fit fine. So go for it. Ohm F's sound just great when you listen to them in the near field. I have them on either side of a stereo cabinet and I pull them out away from the wall for serious listening.

leftfielder - I had my first set of Ohm F's in my dorm room at college! Fit fine. So go for it. Ohm F's sound just great when you listen to them in the near field. I have them on either side of a stereo cabinet and I pull them out away from the wall for serious listening.

That’s my plan too, I will have them on either side of my cabinet against the wall most of the time, but can pull them out for serious listening. My room is a decent size at 20’x20’x10’.

If at all possible bring your receiver to both sellers and listen to them. Only you can make the decision which sounds best. I' go with the ESL63s

When I sold retail in the 70's we had a pair of Fs on the floor. I don't think we ever sold a pair, but hooked to a Phase Linear 700 they cranked out some very memorable sound. I'll never forget that wispy high end and very realistic spatial rendering. Great score!

Back
Top Bottom