Refoam

a little worried

The only reason not to is it may change the appearance after you are done. When restoring a very valuable speaker, many buyers would prefer the "virgin" look. I have done it 2 ways, removing it completely and gluing a new one on, or cutting it almost all the way around, folding it back, then putting a bead around the old dust cap when re-gluing. I put a socket on the cap while the glue is drying. A sharp razor knife will do a clean cut.

I received my simply speakers foams today and the outer edge ia a few spots is rough is this normal?1510265208913-362358111.jpg

I don't recall any foam that I bought from SS like that. Call them. Is there a gasket that covers it? Is so, no problem. If not, then it will not look very good.

I finished my refoam project today, I let the glue dry for 6 hours, the glue was a little tricky but not bad. I used the battery trick to help make sure it was alighed as best i could. I was surprised tonight when I listened to the speakers they really sound great. I would definitely do another refoam if I found the right speakers.

Not perfect, but for my first try not too bad. The previous owner tried using duct tape, i cleaned the residue off, i have some scratches from removing the old glue, my second attempt (speaker in black frame) was better than my first. They sound great for a $40 investment.

They look a lot better than the first pictures above! Great job. I did my Boston A100's a while back*. It's amazing how the sound deteriorates and you don't even realize it. After refoam, it was like WOW! That's the speakers I fell in love with and bought 30 years ago! Since then, I bought a pair of Boston A40's and refoamed them. They sound quite nice for such a small speaker. The imaging is something special with them.

* I bought my A100's in 1987. Around 1999 or 2000, the foam rotted. I bought replacement woofers from Boston. Dumb ass me, threw the originals away never hearing of refoaming speakers. A couple of years ago, the foam was rotten again, I called Boston. No more replacement parts. That's when I found out about refoaming. Since D&M Holdings bought Boston Acoustics, they dropped support for older models. I believe they are now made in China instead of Massachusetts. I hate that.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I never heard of refoaming speakers until I found this site, I bought these at an estate sale for $15, wanting to give it a try, I really was blown away when I listened to them afterwards. I will never look at old speakers the same way again. I also never would have tried this without everyones help on this site.

Back
Top Bottom