Who wears glasses while listening?

twiiii

Lunatic Member
Things have been hectic around here lately and when one of my EQ's had the hick-ups I had to get it repaired. Marked all the settings before disconnecting it. Well, I got it back and reconnected it. But things didn't sound right so I got out the spectrum analyzer and sure enough the midrange area around 500 and 640 had to be touched up on the front channels. Once that was done the sound had this dull sound as if a curtain was between me and the speakers. It was rather thick, too. So I checked the sound with a UREi Analyzer and all was OK, there, too. I was stumped, and then I realized if I shifted my head up and down the sound changed from moderately Ok with my head up about 30 degrees , and was perfect with it down about the same but was dull when looking straight ahead. Well I have had a head cold for the last week maybe that has something to do with it, so I just gave up and turned the system off for a week. Well I fired it up again today and the same thing. But not quite as severe. But the issue was still there. It just so happens one my lenses just got licked by my favorite cat that just jumped in my lap. She likes to listen to waltz and classical music laying in my lap. So I put her down and went to clean my glasses . The phone rang so I returned to my listening chair to answer the phone. Well after the call I returned to listening to music and darn, everything sounded all right. What was going on here? I mean there was a little variation between forward and head down but no difference between forward and head up. Then I realized I did't have my reading glasses on. So, it was my glasses all along causing the change in frequency response. Now they are the very light half size narrow reading glasses with wire frames. I haven't figured out if its the pressure of the frames against the side of my head over the ears or the glass it self, but that was the culprit. Ever heard of such a thing?

Yessir. I wear glasses for distance and I have another pair for close work or reading,as I can't stand bifocals. My distance glasses are the usual wire frame with eye-sized lenses model,and while they aren't too bad,I do find that they cause a slight but perceptible difference. My close glasses,on the other hand,are your typical machine shop style,with thicker and larger shatterproof lenses and sideguards as well.These cause a serious difference in the sound,and I cannot wear them while listening,even if I'm reading at the same time.No idea what causes the effect,but I certainly notice it,and I have to go without for serious listening.

I have read about glasses having an effect but on my system I have not been able to detect any real difference, so don't really worry about it. Similarly I have read that systems tend to sound better when you are forward in the chair as opposed to with your head leaning on the back (with a sound absorbing surface within cm of your ears). In the latter case I have heard a difference but have never been able to make up my mind whether it was just a difference or the SQ changed.

Last edited:
I've been advocating removing your glasses (and listening in the dark) for as long as I can remember. I wear "aviator frame" lenses and always remove them for any kind of listening. They create a diffraction/reflection pattern about your head and if you are astute, you physically hear this difference.

I've worn glasses since elementary school and haven't ever listened with them off unless I was laying down. I'll have to try listening without them. I do close my eyes sometimes and visualize the singer/singers and their band on stage.

I wear mine all the time.

cdee0519fd9b0730ec94793281b70566.jpg

Some information from the net......

A head-related transfer function (HRTF) also sometimes known as the anatomical transfer function (ATF)[citation needed] is a response that characterizes how an ear receives a sound from a point in space. As sound strikes the listener, the size and shape of the head, ears, ear canal, density of the head, size and shape of nasal and oral cavities, all transform the sound and affect how it is perceived, boosting some frequencies and attenuating others. Generally speaking, the HRTF boosts frequencies from 2 - 5 kHz with a primary resonance of +17 dB at 2,700 Hz. But the response curve is more complex than a single bump, affects a broad frequency spectrum, and varies significantly from person to person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-related_transfer_function

.....and more.....

Clothes and eye‐glasses affect minimally HRTF; hair has a stronger effect, depending on the actual hairdo (typically above 7 kHz). Hats alter intensively HRTFs (typically above 5 kHz), depending on the model.

http://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.4777835

Last edited:
Clothes and eye‐glasses affect minimally HRTF; hair has a stronger effect, depending on the actual hairdo (typically above 7 kHz). Hats alter intensively HRTFs (typically above 5 kHz), depending on the model.

http://asa.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1121/1.4777835

Well that explains it for me: As I started losing hair the quality of the music definitely sounded different, but I thought the maturing musical taste was a factor (along with hearing loss).
Seriously though, I'm going to have to check out what my reading glasses do as I like to multi-task and they are usually on while listening (and maybe get a haircut?). Maybe we should just stick to headphones...Nah! Fascinating stuff, thanks for the links.

Last edited:
Progressives, and I've listened with them on and off. Makes a tiny difference compared to the difference in leaning back against the couch versus leaning my head a bit forward. Forward is much better.

I used to wear glasses all the time but lasic surgery took care of that a few years ago. Went for my annual vision check up just yesterday and all is still good at 20-20. I have a pair of safety glasses and I'll have to try them sometime to see if I can notice a difference

I've been wearing glasses for nearly 30 years now, and I still take them off every chance I get. I don't eat with them on, and I can't read with them. Listening to music if I'm really actively listening I usually close my eyes anyway, or if its just background I'm probably reading so the glasses are not on.

I tried this last night, it does make a difference. When I first read this thread yesterday I was very leery to say the least. I always try to listen in the dark, taking away visual ques helps with imaging and placement of instruments.

Things have been hectic around here lately and when one of my EQ's had the hick-ups I had to get it repaired. Marked all the settings before disconnecting it. Well, I got it back and reconnected it. But things didn't sound right so I got out the spectrum analyzer and sure enough the midrange area around 500 and 640 had to be touched up on the front channels. Once that was done the sound had this dull sound as if a curtain was between me and the speakers. It was rather thick, too. So I checked the sound with a UREi Analyzer and all was OK, there, too. I was stumped, and then I realized if I shifted my head up and down the sound changed from moderately Ok with my head up about 30 degrees , and was perfect with it down about the same but was dull when looking straight ahead. Well I have had a head cold for the last week maybe that has something to do with it, so I just gave up and turned the system off for a week. Well I fired it up again today and the same thing. But not quite as severe. But the issue was still there. It just so happens one my lenses just got licked by my favorite cat that just jumped in my lap. She likes to listen to waltz and classical music laying in my lap. So I put her down and went to clean my glasses . The phone rang so I returned to my listening chair to answer the phone. Well after the call I returned to listening to music and darn, everything sounded all right. What was going on here? I mean there was a little variation between forward and head down but no difference between forward and head up. Then I realized I did't have my reading glasses on. So, it was my glasses all along causing the change in frequency response. Now they are the very light half size narrow reading glasses with wire frames. I haven't figured out if its the pressure of the frames against the side of my head over the ears or the glass it self, but that was the culprit. Ever heard of such a thing?

Did you wear glasses before you had the EQ repaired

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom