Unsure JBL Model

fredgarvin

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The cabinets remind me of Lancer 101, but the driver layout isn't. It looks like the tweeters are newer titanium domes.

Lancer 101 - maybe someone modded the drivers ...

page03.jpg

The Lancer 77 had an LE10A, PR10 (passive radiator), and an LE-20 tweeter.

Looks like someone updated the woofer and PR, or at least their foams, changed the tweeter for the titanium unit, put them in a Lancer 101 cabinet, and used Lancer 55 (or look alike) grills.

A real "duke's mixture" here.

The Lancer 77 had an LE10A, PR10 (passive radiator), and an LE-20 tweeter.

Looks like someone updated the woofer and PR, or at least their foams, changed the tweeter for the titanium unit, put them in a Lancer 101 cabinet, and used Lancer 55 (or look alike) grills.

A real "duke's mixture" here.
That makes me wonder about the xovers.

That paler bottom piece of wood does suggest homebrew. How do they sound?

That paler bottom piece of wood does suggest homebrew. How do they sound?
They are for sale locally, I doubt I'll get them, but they are curious and seem well made. I'm not sure how far the cabinet volume is off from the smaller lancer the drivers came from. I would hope the xovers were adjusted.

Those are Dorian cabinets - I've had two pairs, though never with the potato masher tweeter. One pair had the cloth grills - ugly, but little effect on the sound, the other had the fretwork grills, which require a major increase in tweeter level, and even then don't sound as good as without grills.
The pale wood I was mentioning is the bottom of the cabinet - it's black in Maiden's picture of the Dorians, and sort of pinky hued in Fred Garvin's picture. The discontinuity - everything else either black or walnut - makes me think its a DIY, though of a high order of skill.

Back
Top Bottom