Feeling humbled

Michael T.

I am suffering system envy after looking at a number of the systems being used by members here. I almost didn't post my system but I think that in the "Bang for Buck" department for a system that is a great compromise between movie surround and music, I've done pretty darn good.

Yamaha RX-V661 receiver: $75. I purchased 1 for $50 but HDMI card was bad. Bought a second "parts" unit for $25 and the HDMI card was good. easy change-out.

Onkyo Fusion AV S-89 tower speakers: $20 (1 needs a tweeter, I have a post in speaker section for this). These are vintage but I cannot find any information on them anywhere.

Yamaha NS-C225: $5 Excellent center speaker.

Denon USC-08 bookshelf speakers: $18 for shelf stereo and speakers, sold the stereo for $30 with different speakers. So -$12.

Harmon Kardon Sub TS10, 12" sub: $20. has bad amp so bought a Yamaha RX-V990 for $10 to power it.

So, a system for $108 that looks and sounds great.

I am suffering system envy after looking at a number of the systems being used by members here. I almost didn't post my system
Welcome to AK Michael
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-makes-audiophile.797136/page-2#post-11040121

You might want to change that feeling to aspiration and know this hobby is always moving. We all get in where we fit in and grow from there if need be. There is always someone with better or lesser gear than where you might be at any given time, that shouldn't stop you or hinder your enjoyment.

BTW I could care less about what you own. That's not being mean just the way I am, I would rather hear about your enjoyment and how and what your doing to grow within the hobby. Also to shoot the shit and be a good member that makes friends and networks with others.

I encourage you NOT to feel bummed/envious about your system vs. others. I had that feeling for a while. I played around with some trendier vintage units... Sansui, Pioneer, et. al. ... receivers and speakers and ended up with a great sounding system for little money, like you. I've done A/B tests on both receivers and speakers and my modest 70s receiver and my vintage organ speakers mounted on small open baffles... the sound has trounced the big named vintage and modern stuff.

Make no apologies, caveats, excuses for your system.

As someone else above says... if it sounds good to you, it IS GOOD.

Listen on ! ! !

Welcome, Michael T!

You are in the beginnings of a tradition among many of us - looking for great deals on used equipment. Except for my Pioneer SX-980 receiver for which I paid more than usual for me (though still at a bargain - less than a third of the going price), there are very few items in my system that I paid more than $100. Being able to flip the good pieces that I don't need help to finance what I do need.

Have fun, keep your eyes open for more good deals, and enjoy what you have as you move ever deeper into the territory.

GeeDeeEmm

Welcome to the forum! Stand tall and proud when talking about your system. If it sounds good to you, and you derive enjoyment from the music, it's all good.

"Anyone can find a great $100 bottle of wine. The beauty is finding that $10 bottle that brings you the same enjoyment!"

you are in a good place, i swapped parts like you and repaired budget hifi, and learned a lot on the way, appreciation is priceless. the brands you own are good, and popular, enjoy your new system!

I am suffering system envy after looking at a number of the systems being used by members here. I almost didn't post my system but I think that in the "Bang for Buck" department for a system that is a great compromise between movie surround and music, I've done pretty darn good.

Yamaha RX-V661 receiver: $75. I purchased 1 for $50 but HDMI card was bad. Bought a second "parts" unit for $25 and the HDMI card was good. easy change-out.

Onkyo Fusion AV S-89 tower speakers: $20 (1 needs a tweeter, I have a post in speaker section for this). These are vintage but I cannot find any information on them anywhere.

Yamaha NS-C225: $5 Excellent center speaker.

Denon USC-08 bookshelf speakers: $18 for shelf stereo and speakers, sold the stereo for $30 with different speakers. So -$12.

Harmon Kardon Sub TS10, 12" sub: $20. has bad amp so bought a Yamaha RX-V990 for $10 to power it.

So, a system for $108 that looks and sounds great.

Welcome! We all started somewhere. Due to my financial situation, I can't afford a megabuck system either, but I continue to enjoy my journey. Most of my gear comes from Goodwill, that I painstakingly restore as best I can. Some comes from Craigslist. With a little DIY mixed in here and there. Some gets improvements (call it sweat equity) and moved along to fund the next purchase. Some gets kept long term.

I enjoy the entire process - the hunt, the repairing and restoring, trying new things, and most of all listening to my music.

One small word of friendly advice. Add your location to your profile. You will be surprised how many members here are willing to lend you assistance on your journey. It can be anything from a great deal on a piece of surplus (to them) gear, to helping point out bargains on your local Craigslist, to offering to help with things like recapping a speaker crossover, or aligning a cartridge.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. We're all here together as a community, sharing, learning, growing and enjoying this hobby and our music. Congrats, you are officially one of us!

Welcome to the forum! Stand tall and proud when talking about your system. If it sounds good to you, and you derive enjoyment from the music, it's all good.

"Anyone can find a great $100 bottle of wine. The beauty is finding that $10 bottle that brings you the same enjoyment!"

That's a great quote. I plan to borrow it, as it perfectly sums up my approach to this great hobby we all share. I am constantly seeking bargains, both equipment and media (vintage gear and thrift store CDs and albums) and enjoy the heck out of the fruits of my ongoing search.

Just yesterday, I found a very clean copy of Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon, an album I've wanted since it came out the summer I turned 12. I purchased the Kodachrome single that summer (I'm also a photographer, so it's always been one of my favorite songs). Now I have the complete album, that I've played about six times in the last two days.

I can't afford to buy every album I want new at $25 a pop, so finding one I want, in excellent condition for $2.99 at my local Goodwill is always a special thrill.

I am suffering system envy after looking at a number of the systems being used by members here.

Do, but don't.

Nearly all special-interest forums have the same effect of promoting envy for what everyone else has. It is okay as long as it helps each of us better understand what we have and to appreciate it. There is a wealth of information on this forum to help you upgrade if that is what you want to do. Which you will. It is inevitable. :)

One thing to consider: The equipment only sounds as good as its source material. The edition of the music—analog and digital—play as important a role as the condition of the LP or vinyl or tape.

Welcome! Enjoy the ride, but remember the very true maxim: Let your ears guide you.

There is always better out there than for most anyone’s system. Don’t let that afffect your own enjoyment.

What’s important to me is understanding ways to improve that which you have. I’ve seen many a system here where speaker placement and proximity to huge cabinets and other furniture compromises sound quality. Or putting sensitive sources directly on top of an amplifier’s or receiver’s power supply.

Optimization is the key. :)

System envy is a waste of mental energy.
Enjoy what you have while you have it.
Upgrade when budget and opportunity permit, and significant gains are to be had.

One of my all-time favorite receivers was a Realistic STA-430 (10W/ch), which was near BOTL for the Shack back in 1979.
I dragged it out from under a wet rug at the local Goodwill by-the-pound, and paid $4 for it.
That little unit really sounded good.
I do not think anything that I have had since has outperformed it for casual listening.

I feel no envy at all for others who spend large sums on their stereos.
Much joy can be had by spending very little.

Back
Top Bottom