Technics SL-1210 M5G Turntable...Thoughts and opinions on its sonics

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I love how this TT looks, and seems to be built like a tank. How does it sound though? Reviews seem to say it's better than the earlier 1200 series. Prices are all over the place on this one from a little under Five, to new over 2K!
What could be an equal, or better TT in the 6-800 range sonically?
My SL-1900 sounds great with my ZU modded Denon DL103 MC cart, but the cart I think brings out the weaknesses as well. I'm also open to suggestions this cart would shine on as well.
As always, opinions and TT wisdom far beyond mine is appreciated.
Cheers, Glenn

Technics SL-1200MkX series tables the most reviewed tables in the world, where do you want to start? Do you have a long lifetime to read everything?
I've read plenty of reviews, for they sound ok, not true audiophile, to the best sounding table ever made.
I'm looking for hands on actual owners opinions. If I'm going to plunk down 6-800 on a vintage table, I'm hoping it's the one I'll never want to sell.
Thanks!
Glenn

I have the 1210M5G and I love it. Mount it on a big maple block supported by cork/rubber feet under the whole works. The 1210 works well with the Denon DL 103, especially if you use a heavier, taller mat on the platter....heavy to reduce "ringing" and taller to allow the 103 to be set higher by the tone arm VTA. The Denon likes to be 'heavy'.....my plain-Jane 103 mounted on a Audio-Technica Technicahard headshell (18 grams) brings to the cartridge/head shell to around 29 grams (Ortofon SPU territory) and forces the use of an auxiliary counter weight (which I made of washers and screw into the back of the tone arm). Mated to the Auditorium A23 dedicated Step Up Transformer this is a very formidable set up and will make more expensive turntables cry in their beer. I know this because I went from a much more expensive belt drive ( to remain nameless) to the 1210 and never looked back. In fact I even picked up a vintage Technics SP25 for my SPUs.

The turntable is bullet proof and parts/aftermarket goodies/ advice can be had from Kevin at KABUSA.

I've read plenty of reviews, for they sound ok, not true audiophile, to the best sounding table ever made.
I'm looking for hands on actual owners opinions. If I'm going to plunk down 6-800 on a vintage table, I'm hoping it's the one I'll never want to sell.
Thanks!
Glenn

Personal opinion, but I'd hazard a guess that most people that say that the 1200 and it's derivatives can't deliver audiophile sound are in the "If it's not a belt or an idler it's wrong" camp.

I have the 1210M5G and I love it. Mount it on a big maple block supported by cork/rubber feet under the whole works. The 1210 works well with the Denon DL 103, especially if you use a heavier, taller mat on the platter....heavy to reduce "ringing" and taller to allow the 103 to be set higher by the tone arm VTA. The Denon likes to be 'heavy'.....my plain-Jane 103 mounted on a Audio-Technica Technicahard headshell (18 grams) brings to the cartridge/head shell to around 29 grams (Ortofon SPU territory) and forces the use of an auxiliary counter weight (which I made of washers and screw into the back of the tone arm). Mated to the Auditorium A23 dedicated Step Up Transformer this is a very formidable set up and will make more expensive turntables cry in their beer. I know this because I went from a much more expensive belt drive ( to remain nameless) to the 1210 and never looked back. In fact I even picked up a vintage Technics SP25 for my SPUs.

The turntable is bullet proof and parts/aftermarket goodies/ advice can be had from Kevin at KABUSA.
Thanks for your input! Very helpful.
My Denon was modded by ZU, and is much heavier than the stock 103 body, so I would probably not need the extra weight on the back of the arm.

What I love about mine is the cheap tweakability. I have probably about $1300 in mods, but done over a period of 9 years isn’t so much. It’s still ultra reliable and consider it to be in hi-end territory, now. KAB is your friend.

Honestly, if I were looking to build a TT up with performance/$ being my only concern, I'd probably look out for an SL-120 and stick a really nice tonearm on it.

I ran a Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103 (quite similar to the Zu) on my SL-1200 MK2, you will need more weight on the counterbalance end to get correct VTF. I think about 22g additional was the magic number with my setup.

I owned mine for several years, they are quite good tables. I upgraded the arm wires in mine, which made a difference for the better (an M5 should not require this as it had upgraded wires from the factory).

Lots of tweaks and mods out there for this table, from fluid damping to external power supplies. So there are upgrade paths possible to get a bit more from the already very good platform. I did a lot of the performance mods to mine, and again I think that they were improvements (but not night and day, most were quite subtle).

Good luck in your journey.

GD70 how much does your Zu modded 103 weigh? 26-30 grams total head shell and cartridge should do the trick. You may need more than the Technics auxiliary weight for the back of the tone arm attached to the 'counterweight', hence I use a bolt and a couple of washers as my auxiliary weight. The 103 likes to ride at 2.6 grams VTF.

GD70 how much does your Zu modded 103 weigh? 26-30 grams total head shell and cartridge should do the trick. You may need more than the Technics auxiliary weight for the back of the tone arm attached to the 'counterweight', hence I use a bolt and a couple of washers as my auxiliary weight. The 103 likes to ride at 2.6 grams VTF.
The ZU weighs 14 grams. They recommend 2.5 grams down force. I tend to have it set around 2.2 down force.
Link to the ZU specs.
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...eb0961dbf/1479401951866/Zu:DL-103-2B_CS-C.pdf

Thanks, Glenn

I ran a Paradox Pulse Guard DL-103 (quite similar to the Zu) on my SL-1200 MK2, you will need more weight on the counterbalance end to get correct VTF. I think about 22g additional was the magic number with my setup.

I owned mine for several years, they are quite good tables. I upgraded the arm wires in mine, which made a difference for the better (an M5 should not require this as it had upgraded wires from the factory).

Lots of tweaks and mods out there for this table, from fluid damping to external power supplies. So there are upgrade paths possible to get a bit more from the already very good platform. I did a lot of the performance mods to mine, and again I think that they were improvements (but not night and day, most were quite subtle).

Good luck in your journey.
Thanks for all this!
So you had yours for several years, did you sell it to upgrade and if so, what table did you get that you feel is better?

Thanks for all this!
So you had yours for several years, did you sell it to upgrade and if so, what table did you get that you feel is better?
I sold it to a fellow AK'er when I upgraded to a SOTA Star Sapphire/Audiomods Series 5 arm.

I own two of the 1200 series tables, the 1200mk2 and the 1210mk2 (same table but in a matte black finish, basically). I love them.

I don't believe you can get the build quality, durability, ease of use, accurate speed, etc. from anything anywhere near the used price of a 1200. As others have said, tweaks and replacement parts are also easy to come by. The authority on these is http://kabusa.com if you hadn't already heard of them.

As far as the 1200m5g is concerned, I would not pay a premium for that table unless the cosmetics were superior. That model (I believe) has some features that cater to the DJ crowd which, while they don't affect high-quality playback, are not of much use to the non-DJ and may drive the price up. I consider all 1200mk2 models basically identical for home use.
EDIT: I forgot (but another poster mentioned) that the m5g is supposed to have better wires in the arm and perhaps better interconnects. Those are readily available tweaks though, if that sort of thing matters to you.

I recommend the stock Technics headshell and the stock thick mat (which may be NLA but KAB has some options for similar replacements). I mention this because those tend to be the two things most often missing from used 1200s--well, those and the really nice machined aluminum 45 adapter.

Last edited:
acy76 is right... the MK5 is a great table, but it's advances over the MK2 (better tone control-ability and LED lights, primarily) are only really useful if you DJ in clubs or do a lot of beat-matching. The MK2 sounds just as good and can be had for less.

For the record (pun!) I have a MK2 and I love it.

I've got a MK2 and this is my second time around. Had one 7 years ago or so, sold it, regretted it, purchased a replacement last year. The richness of the tweeks and upgrade suppliers is what makes it for me. Kevin at KABUSA is the oracle for the details and does a good job of supplying good upgrades and parts. This will help keep these units going for a long time yet.

I run a Denon DL-301, Shure M97 and Ortofon Bronze on mine.

Much past what you'd pay for a used MK2,3 or 5, there's a law of diminishing returns. Sure I can buy a VPI and get totally caught up in the upgrade-itis that they're designed for, I'm quite satisfied with the SL1200, HK/Rabco ST7 and the Mitsubishi LT20 linear trackers. Don't need no mo' 'tables!

Cheers,

David

I have a few SL1200mk2s and they extract all I want from vinyl, along with bullet-proof build quality and simplicity all wrapped up in a masterclass of form and function.

You simply can't go wrong with those tables.

This is all great information! I'll check out kabusa.
I do prefer the black finish over the grey silver, so if I pull the trigger on one it would be the 1210 series.
Greatly appreciated gents!

If you buy one, make sure there is no perceptible play or friction in the arm bearings. That’s a sure sign of DJ abuse and not an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom