In Wall Front Channels

Robel

Hi All,

can anyone recommend a high quality in wall speakers for home theater? The objective is a minimalist look but not compromising (too much) on the sound quality. The floor standing Mirage towers are no longer cutting it from an aesthetics perspective. Using a 7 channel Arcam power amp and a Marantz pre. Will also be looking for replacement for the giant Mirage sub-woofer. Smaller footprint, probably wireless to give some options for placement. Thanks all!

I just completed a retrofit of my home theater's "construction grade" (read cheap!) units with a combination of Monitor Audio W380-LCR (in-wall) and C380-LCR (in-ceiling) units. I built 12.5 liter back-boxes for them and they sound terrific. The newer IDC models from MA have integrated back boxes, so install is a snap. Definitely worth a look even if you really can't listen to them (major downside of ANY in-wall/in-ceiling speakers). Good luck with your project.

thanks for your feedback. I listened to a pair of Martin Logan's yesterday afternoon. They sounded pretty good, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'll check those MA's out. Did you do the install?

Monitor Audio 5i:10i:ASW210.jpg

I did do the install, actually a retrofit/upgrade. The existing setup was a mess - speaker spacing was asymmetrical with differently shaped/sized wall cavities for all 7 speakers so in addition to the backbox construction, quite a bit of drywall work was involved. I still have the in-wall center to install (building an angled backbox to downfire) so am using an MA Gold Signature temporarily (GSLCR). Here's a pic of the current setup. The mini-towers are MA Silver 5s I use for 2-channel listening along with a dedicated MA ASW210 sub. You can see the front in-walls (MA W380-LCR) if you look carefully. I use a JBL ES250 sub for the 7.1 HT setup.

Back
Top Bottom