Sennheiser HD 660 s

I loaded my Mac book pro into its case and headed for the dealer, he sent me an e-mail that the 660's had arrived. We plugged them in using the adapter cable as they come with the 1/4" Stereo phone plug. I listened to a bunch of selections I have on the hard drive. They are definitely an improvement over the 650's with an over all more balanced sound with a much better top two octaves. I think the bass is a touch cleaner, dryer for sure. They are not as efficient as my 598's so they wouldn't be a good choice for replacements for the computer. But driven by my 2505 or C-34 head phone jacks would be just great, I imagine. They are not Stax or Signet electrostatics however. But for the price they are outstanding. I wish they had been available all those years ago when I found the 800's just to strident. But then i'd never had been forced to buy the signets, and then move on to the Stax electrostatics. I even pulled out my Stax S 40's, I haven't used in years. Theres a contrast in sound. Which is better, the 660 or the SR 40? That will take further study.

I know the 660's aren't cheap but if you want to jump in with both feet to experience headphone listening a 660 just might make you a avid user for life.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in these also, I've been reading reviews of headphones till my eyes were bleeding! I want something good to use with my Pioneer sa-9100 amp when I get it back! I don't want to go cheap but I can't spend 4 grand like I'd like!

Amazon had them on back order yesterday so I went directly to the sennheiser webpage. I'm already impatient. I got a 12 month no interest deal with PayPal. they like me apparently.

They just arrived in the mail. Solid build and they came in an indestructo box. I put on Jobim's "Wave" and sat back. The headphones themselves are very comfortable and seem designed for the eyeglass wearer. So it has been said the new 660 s are a more V-shaped 650. Having never owned the latter I cannot say, but I hear no "veil". The highs are light and airy with plenty of detail. The midrange shines and the bass is pretty darned near linear except for a bit of welcome sub-bass. These cans will be seeing a lot of use.

Initial experience seems positive enough. I'm sure there's more evaluation to come...........

Back
Top Bottom