ESS Heil Driver

NoTransistors

Dual Turntables Super-Restorer
After [years] of tinkering, it is my determination that these things must be toed-in separately from the conventional driver cabinet below. I get the most enveloping sound with these strange drivers toed in about 15 to 20 degrees further than the Pioneer systems they reside on. The speaker boxes are one foot from the wall and Heils are up front. The sweet spot is wider and the sound is encompassing. I use 6.0 Mfd without a resistor as a simple crossover. My Pioneers are almost as sensitive as the Heils, so I am not over-tweeted. I just made up a new word. How do you like it?
If only the parrots would stop screaming so I can enjoy the music.

Last edited:
And how are the Heils wired with your stacked pioneers? Do you have a series and parallel setup to keep the resistance from dropping too low?

This is good to hear. My intent has been to cross the Heil over using a single 6.0 mfd cap/L-pad (~2,400 Hz).

Also, my Heils will have their own clear acrylic stands that will sit on top of the midrange speakers so can be positioned in any direction relative to the speakers.

DSC_00541.JPG

Prototype in wood:

DSC_00553.JPG

Last edited:
20171121_142415.jpg 20171121_134847.jpg 20171121_134837.jpg 20171121_134906.jpg Everything is paralleled. If the amp was not tubed, I think it would have blown up by now..
I found that 6.0 was the sweet-spot. Less, and the Heils did not have enough presence. More, and my ears start to bleed. Forty watts-per-channel, and the floors shake and windows rattle. I made 6 Mfd with six dry paper Sprague capacitors. Got them at a Ham Fest. I actually own an HP frequency generator. If I also owned a weighted SPL meter, imagine the possibilities. Now let us see if I can give you some pictures.
I never liked those Euro barrier strips on the Heil. So I will post a picture on that as well.

Last edited:
Cool. I love the AMT's. Currently have one temporarily replacing a blown tweeter on a speaker, and I'm thinking about putting the other one on the other channel!

I'm concerned about those old Spragues...did you actually measure capacitance on those? How about ESR? I love vintage, but for caps, it's pretty much new films at my house.

Even though I have a meter that can measure such things, I figured that a dry capacitor would not be an issue. I described the caps as paper. Might be mylar/foil.
Here is a picture.20171121_181148.jpg

Use a meter on the diaphrams of both drivers. My set was a present, and the voice coils did not match at all. Easily and sort of cheaply replaced.

Last edited:
Very nice.
I notice that your Heils look a bit different. Seems that the 'window' that the diaphram sits behind is larger. Also, is that felt, rubber, roof flashing, or some such thing applied to the bare metal laminate to reduce reflections?

So those plates are there as a decorative cover for the stack of plates that make up the core. Interesting. The plates are raw steel and seem to take on permanent stains in a smoker's house. No smokers here, but the original owner was a chimney. You should have seen what the original diaphrams looked like. Brown, brittle mylar. You can tell how much tolerance I have for smokers.

Interesting how the CL ad shows these dipole speakers mounted as monopole.

Last edited:
If people tweaked more, the world would be a better place.

I just toed these beasts in even more. More than one would ever think is possible. Now, the front inboard corner of each is pointed toward the other. Until I can afford a high-end system by MBL, this will do just fine. My listening room is an acoustic nightmare, so this Hi-Fi might not sound the same in any sane room.
Many thanks to Mr. Scott, Mr. Heil, and of course the entire staff at Pioneer. And let us not forget Dual GMBH, and Shure Bros.

Last edited:
The Heils offer a lot to love.

I have my pair currently sitting on top of the L200/300s and can A/B them against the 2405s in the cabinets. They are crossed over at ~7,250 Hz.

The 2405s are louder overall, and when the volumes are matched, have a bit more of the top end shimmer. The Heils are more open with better articulation and a bit smoother/less harsh. There's not a big difference, but there is definitely a difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom