what is that feeling?

opusarlo

What do you call that feeling you get while listening to a righteous pipe organ piece played at obscene sound levels. When the low register tickles your eyelids, and your heart skips a beat. That exhiliarating feeling that makes you verge on being emotional and populates your body with goosebumps. It feels like a drug, and you just want more. Does anyone know what I mean? Does this feeling have a name?

Glad to see it wasn't mechanized dandruff. They have a shampoo though, if it was.

I was in Mexico City when the Basilica de Guadalupe had the first service where they dedicated there Casavant Pipe organ. At the time in 1977 it was one of the top two or three pipe Organs in the Western Hemisphere. We installed the sound system there in 1976. I was working on the platform near the Bishops chair when the organist started practicing one evening. Talking about a thrill. I was also there for a Easter pre celebration Mass where Monsignor Schullenberger presided with an organist from Italy. He played a Bach piece for the Procession and a French composition as closing piece after the Mass was over. I didn't recognize the piece he was playing but some of the close to subsonic notes were doing more than tickling. I' ve installed some very strong discos but they are all filtered to roll off at 30 HZ. I've heard stacked ML-4's driven by two 2300's playing Organ music, Klipschorns and there is nothing out there that compares with real life pipe Organ. We had a smaller Casavant Organ at our Church and the Big Baptish Church in town has one, too. But if you ever get a chance and you can attend a High Church mass, instead of a more traditional mass, with full choir with Pipe Organ you will be in for a real treat. The only other pipe organ I can remember that came close to the same sonic excellence was in San Francisco when I attended a Pipe Organ recital given on the West side of town. I can't remember the Church name as its been over 55 years ago, and would be just a guess.

Last edited:
Here in Philadelphia we have The Wannamaker Organ in Macy's. Macy's Phila. used to be Wannamakers. It's played twice a day on most days. I try to time my trips to center city to coincide with the times it's being played.

from Smithsonian.com
The 111-year-old organ at Macy’s Center City Philadelphia is a sight to behold: Seven stories tall, weighing 287 tons and containing 28,750 pipes, it’s the world’s largest playable instrument.

We also have the Kimmel Center Organ. The Kimmel Center (Verizon Hall) is home to the Philadelphia Orchestra.

The Fred J. Cooper Memorial Organ, Dobson organ Op. 76, ranks as the largest mechanical-action concert hall organ in the United States. With its nearly 7,000 pipes, four blowers, 300 levels of memory, 111 stops, pipe sizes ranging from about the size of a drinking straw up to two feet square by 32 feet high, this is truly the King of Instruments!

Here in Philadelphia we have The Wannamaker Organ in Macy's. Macy's Phila. used to be Wannamakers. It's played twice a day on most days. I try to time my trips to center city to coincide with the times it's being played.

from Smithsonian.com
The 111-year-old organ at Macy’s Center City Philadelphia is a sight to behold: Seven stories tall, weighing 287 tons and containing 28,750 pipes, it’s the world’s largest playable instrument.

We also have the Kimmel Center Organ. The Kimmel Center (Verizon Hall) is home to the Philadelphia Orchestra.

The Fred J. Cooper Memorial Organ, Dobson organ Op. 76, ranks as the largest mechanical-action concert hall organ in the United States. With its nearly 7,000 pipes, four blowers, 300 levels of memory, 111 stops, pipe sizes ranging from about the size of a drinking straw up to two feet square by 32 feet high, this is truly the King of Instruments!
I would love love love love to hear the Wannamaker play organ symphony 6 in G minor (the Allegro movement). I will have lived a full life when that happens. Alas, I am too far away to gamble on what will be played or I would drive there in a heartbeat.

Organ Shutdown. (no pun intended)
Mum played the organ at Church, used to go with her on Thursdays to practice, I'd sit In the middle and enjoy!
She would always crank up a few tunes

I get an eargasm with the intro to Cool The Engines (The Launch) from Boston through my Sennheisers.

persp-maxell-hed-2012.jpg

I call it immersion ...

Brown note?

A slightly off-topic aside re: Wannamaker organ - about 10 years ago my church had just installed a new pipe organ. There was a local kid of about 16 who was supposedly a prodigy, though I was dubious of the claim. Arrangements were made for him to perform a recital on our new instrument, and being a recording engineer I decided to do my thing. I should say I was on the committee that spec'd and purchased the organ and I'm also a professional vocalist and had been on staff as the soloist in this church for years, so I was intimately familiar with the instrument and the space. So I set up my microphones and the kid shows up with his manager, who immediately tells me I'm doing it wrong and I shouldn't have that mic there. I tell him to trust me and ignore him. The kid plays his recital and it's actually fantastic. He lived up to the hype. I send him a CD of my recording and he gets back to me a couple days later saying "Thank you so much - I've never had a really good recording of one of my performances!" He used the recording in his application to the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia, was admitted early, and got a job playing the organ at Wannamaker's several times a week. So if you heard that organ 5 years ago or so, he was likely the one playing it.

Back
Top Bottom