Looking for some help on finding a table that has aluminum and wood on it.

i think the op requesting "under $200 price range" may not include MOST of the tables listed

FIFY if he doesn't find a sweet deal. The 6300 has folks coughing up close to a grand for a sweet one and it is a table that used to have a 200-250 performance level. But that has gone up along with the values of tables in general.

Haven't seen any preferences by the OP. Maybe he can show us what he likes of those posted and folks can mention others that might be similar. Here is another one out of the price range. Thorens TD-125 with an SME tonearm. A true classic that looks great, too.

i think the op requesting "under $200 price range" may not include some of the tables listed
The three I posted all cost me less than $200 (if you don't include the arm on the R-O-K), though I did purchase the Ariston a few years back so the price might not be so relevant.

And none of the ones I posted cost me more than $100 (some much less), but that was in unrestored condition with various problems. If the OP has no interest or skills to fix them up he might have to pay more to find one that is working well.

My 125 was less than max but needed a tonearm. I had one.
My 6320 was less than the low amount but needed a tonearm. I had one.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. There's something to be said for both. A DC servo motor removes reliance on AC line frequency to determine platter speed. AC Syncro motors removes reliance on more complicated electronics. Measurement wise though the AC motor doesn't have a chance of matching the wow and flutter specs of a good quartz referenced servo drive. Whether or not the difference is audible is another question.
Your comment brings back the memory of Justin Gordon Holt vs. the meter reader reviewers. The turntable design, like any other engineering task, is a compromise between cost and performance. It is always a question of how good is good enough, which is somewhat subjective. For most high end AC syncro motor turntable, a precision bearing and a heavy platter is the key to remove the dependence on AC line frequency. It works very well to reduce it below audible level. The DC servo motor driven DD turntable design is much more complicated due to insolation of motor noise from the platter. Electronics can reduce wow and flutter reading to very low level, but it is not the only aspect of turntable sonic characteristics. There are some very well designed Direct Drive table in the tens of thousand dollar range. In the mid price range ($1000-6000), I always prefer belt drive turntable. The choice is by audition, personal and subjective.

For under $200 budget, an used Pioneer PL-12D is a reasonable choice for good sound. It is a entry level belt drive classic design.

Your comment brings back the memory of Justin Gordon Holt vs. the meter reader reviewers. The turntable design, like any other engineering task, is a compromise between cost and performance. It is always a question of how good is good enough, which is somewhat subjective. For most high end AC syncro motor turntable, a precision bearing and a heavy platter is the key to remove the dependence on AC line frequency. It works very well to reduce it below audible level. The DC servo motor driven DD turntable design is much more complicated due to insolation of motor noise from the platter. Electronics can reduce wow and flutter reading to very low level, but it is not the only aspect of turntable sonic characteristics. There are some very well designed Direct Drive table in the tens of thousand dollar range. In the mid price range ($1000-6000), I always prefer belt drive turntable. The choice is by audition, personal and subjective.

For under $200 budget, an used Pioneer PL-12D is a reasonable choice for good sound. It is a entry level belt drive classic design.

Agreed! I'm quite enjoying my mid-range late 70s DD tables personally but if you like belts, then by all means go for it. I've just yet to find a belt drive that I want to fix up and listen to (So far, I've really only purchased tables that need work as I enjoy the process.)

Agreed! I'm quite enjoying my mid-range late 70s DD tables personally but if you like belts, then by all means go for it. I've just yet to find a belt drive that I want to fix up and listen to (So far, I've really only purchased tables that need work as I enjoy the process.)

Here's one you would want to listen to Nate!

Sony PS-2400 custom dustcover by Buhduh, on Flickr

:drool:

I should amend that. I've yet to find one in my price range that I want to fix and listen to. :D

I've done 6 late 70's Japanese tables so far (Well, 5, with 1 more still on deck) so I'm due for either a belt or idler soon. I just need to clear my current set down to 1 or 2 before I buy another or the WAF is going to plummet precipitously.

:drool:

I should amend that. I've yet to find one in my price range that I want to fix and listen to. :D

I've done 6 late 70's Japanese tables so far (Well, 5, with 1 more still on deck) so I'm due for either a belt or idler soon. I just need to clear my current set down to 1 or 2 before I buy another or the WAF is going to plummet precipitously.

Go for quality regardless of drive type - dd, belt, or rim. :thumbsup:

Go for quality regardless of drive type - dd, belt, or rim. :thumbsup:

Agreed! Lately I've been playing with comparisons of medium/medium high mass arms (JVC QL-A2, CEC DD-8200) and super low mass arms (Pioneer PL-7). It's been quite fun!

I'm gearing up the confidence to tweak the bearings on the CEC and the JVC, both had a bit of play when I received them and the collar on one of the vertical bearings on the JVC was actually only finger tight. I'm glad none of the balls have fallen out!

I have my eyes on a Sony PS-X50 locally, if I sell my current tables quickly enough I may be able to pick it up.

That sony that @Montycat posted is just gorgeous. Way better aesthetics than either the Denon, Technics, or JVC/Victor drive units in that same style.

Cheers,
Nathan

I have my eyes on a Sony PS-X50 locally, if I sell my current tables quickly enough I may be able to pick it up.

That sony that @Montycat posted is just gorgeous. Way better aesthetics than either the Denon, Technics, or JVC/Victor drive units in that same style.

Cheers,
Nathan

Go for the Sony PS-X50 - (manual) asap , hope it still have the original Sony headshell. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom