Pro-Ject Phono Box E (preamp) do I need it??

daza152

Hi guys I am currently using a Harman Kardon AVR20II connected to my PD272 Luxman and wanting to know do you think I need t fit an external phono stage to get a better quality of sound? Thanks.

Only you can tell. If you have a phono input now and are not unhappy with the sound I wouldn't bother.

Hi guys I am currently using a Harman Kardon AVR20II connected to my PD272 Luxman and wanting to know do you think I need t fit an external phono stage to get a better quality of sound? Thanks.

It would be very difficult for you to upgrade your present internal phono stage. :idea: :no:

So the other alternative would be an external one.

Only you can tell. If you have a phono input now and are not unhappy with the sound I wouldn't bother.
Thanks Monty, I have been happy with my music so far but when someone says it could be better you start to wonder...?

I like having an external preamp/phono stage because it makes it a easier to trial different table setups. My AVR weighs about 40lbs so getting behind it is a trial.

Aside from that, having tunable capacitance etc gives a nice level of flexibility for using different cartridges and there are discrete phono stages that have much lower THD, better SnR, and better RIAA curve compliance than almost all integrated phono stage circuits.

what about a higher quality and priced one around th$499 mark if this was $499US would you get a good one that delivers good quality? So generally speaking I should get but a descent one not a cheapie

About your cartridge, and what your records general condition and sound quality?
Good stuff can get more out of most normal clean records in good condition, but many record productions weren't all that great at their best, so expectations have to be realistic. The point of diminishing returns can come on early and cheap, depending on what there is or is not there to recover.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom