Feeling sorry for the disillusioned sellers

SaturationPt

Big Woofer Club
Subscriber
I like to do my weekend craigslist surfing, looking for that must-have piece of equipment, hopefully in good condition below market value, ...

I almost always see the usual flippers, the garage-sale leftovers, the basement cleaners, ... but am sometimes a little saddened when I see someone trying to sell the mid-'90s middle-of-the-line Pioneer rack system, Marantz HT system, etc. after doing a little research and seeing all of the high-dollar sales with the same brand, ... and hoping to get $399 for the set.

I've responded to some, "stereo for sale, was my Dad's" type of ads where the model wasn't specified and no pictures (or not good ones) just to find that some daughter is trying to sell dad's old system that he was so proud of and thinking it's worth a lot, and not wanting to break the news that those big Pioneer vinyl-clad speakers aren't worth the drive over, ... the Onkyo rack system is probably worth $30 to someone if it works, etc.

Anyone else feel bad for these people? Not the scammers, but the dreamers?

I see those ads and shake my head.
As mentioned it's not that hard now days to research an item.
If I had to feel sorry for someone, it would be a buyer who thinks they are getting "good stuff". But again, it's not that hard to research.

IIRC, back in the day (60's?), an MC275 and Fisher 800B were priced similarly, and I have both these models.
Compare prices today and this disparity has always bothered me. Of course, the MC275 continues to be manufactured.
Not that this relates to BPC or older HT gear of CL.

Most folks are adults and will figure out the error of their assumptions on value. They'll be fine.....if not just a bit disappointed.

A guy on the local CL is trying to sell a McIntosh MX110Z for $4700!!!! All the guy has to do is a bit of research to see what nonsense that is.

Another guy has been trying to sell a nice pair of AR 2's for $400 for months. Not; as outrageous as the Mac, but still he hasn't changed his ad, he keeps reposting, and he obviously has no intention of bringing the price down(I know, I asked him).

There are many more CL stories like this around where I live. It is what it is.

I was given an Onkyo BPC system with speakers. Not worth the time to post, so I put them out on the curb. Lasted about the time to walk from the curb to my front door. Checked Craigslist the next day, there they were $300. I stopped checking after about 2 months if they were still there.

I probably should feel sorry for them, but I usually don't.

What I do enjoy are the people who get genuinely angry that the market isn't giving them the money they just know they deserve.

Does anyone else send an email to the wanna-be-seller telling them their asking price is too high? I've done it on occasion, both on CL and ePrey. Makes me feel better, I guess.

Have a fella here thats been selling a pair of speakers for 2 or 3 years now.Got to give him credit on one hand for persistence and and a slap on the head for stubborness,nobody is willing to pay your price my friend!

A guy on the local CL is trying to sell a McIntosh MX110Z for $4700!!!! All the guy has to do is a bit of research to see what nonsense that is.

Another guy has been trying to sell a nice pair of AR 2's for $400 for months. Not; as outrageous as the Mac, but still he hasn't changed his ad, he keeps reposting, and he obviously has no intention of bringing the price down(I know, I asked him).

There are many more CL stories like this around where I live. It is what it is.

AR2 speakers have sold on ebay for up to $499, so perhaps $400 is possible, although not with local buyers.

On the other hand, the highest price for that Mac is $3300.

99 out of 100 I don't feel sorry for those "dreamers". However once I saw a crappy Panasonic all in one complete with "Thrusters". Very old and nice lady was selling it and she was asking (not sure I remember it correctly) somewhere about $300. I spent some time explaining her the state of Thruster's market...She was very upset, but a real trooper....She put it for sale again for $30 and someone bought it...
On the other hand there was a guy who was asking $1500 (ouch!) for a very nice Pioneer SA-9500 (never serviced however). I tried to negotiate and referenced eBay sold items but the only response I've got was "If nobody will pay the asking price I'd rather donate it to some charity"....Well...it was his choice after all...

AR2 speakers have sold on ebay for up to $499, so perhaps $400 is possible, although not with local buyers.

On the other hand, the highest price for that Mac is $3300.

I find that on CL, particularly when it comes to people selling vintage, that they just have a price in mind and won't back down very often. And lots of times the prices are way over what would be considered reasonable. Mostly because they saw an auction go haywire and that is how they are gauging the market. I agree that $400 for 2's in good shape isn't outrageous, but locally they are not in high demand, and as I said he has seemingly no intention of bringing the price down to a level where they would sell. As for the Mac, if somebody here tried to sell a pretty much stock 110Z for that price I'm would bet that there would be much discussion.

. . . Anyone else feel bad for these people? Not the scammers, but the dreamers?

Not if they are too blockheaded to ask themselves why nobody is buying their stuff.

You have to wonder about the motivation of some Craigslist sellers. There is somebody on two of my local Craigslists who has been trying to sell a "dissolved oxygen meter" for $250 for over a continuous year, without any price reduction. And this is a product that probably has even less mass appeal than old stereo gear.

Maybe she's thinking "if I sell it fine, if not, it's not taking up space I need." But she's obviously going to the effort to renew her ads periodically. If she wanted to move it, one would think she would lower the price. If she didn't, one would think she'd stop renewing the ads.

Rules are different for everyone and everything. that person selling the DO meter is waiting for the
right person who understands the device and its value.

audio flipping means selling it for a profit with the opportunity costs somewhat high. for Scroe hunters
it's buying under audiogon/AK/ebay prices. for others its that nostalgic/missing-but-wanted/etc
unit that is finally found and bought after years/decades of looking - this last one is not a lot
different than the DO meter.

I know this guy who was super happy when the C7 came out, he then buys, uses, low mileage
garage queen C5s and sells them for 5K more than he bought them for. I asked him how good
he was at it, he says, not good enough to replace his tech job. In CA it takes a couple of grand
to wake up every month. most other states it's a lot less. I then ask him for his analysis,
he says, most guys go for the Z06s, I buy non-Z06s from geezers and sell them to girls
and other geezers. hidden market inside another hidden market.

just like audio - TOTL Marantz/Pioneer receivers get the frenzy.

Does anyone else send an email to the wanna-be-seller telling them their asking price is too high? I've done it on occasion, both on CL and ePrey. Makes me feel better, I guess.
I've done it a couple of times.Mainly to enlighten seller as it was nothing i was interested in. A few welcomed the advice but had one that replied with venom.I got the feeling it was a woman.Anymore I don't care.They'll either sit on it forever or hit the jackpot.

Rules are different for everyone and everything. that person selling the DO meter is waiting for the
right person who understands the device and its value. . . .

A good point that hadn't occurred to me. Although waiting for the right buyer to come along seems like a real longshot. Like waiting for an asteroid to pass close to earth.

Sometimes people post stuff at higher than normal prices on CL because they KNOW a bunch of tire-kickers and time wasters are going to try to low-ball or haggle like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom