anybody have an opinion on Polydax speaks?

mike68

I have a rather large set of speakers that were built by a speaker tech in Atlanta GA. They have 6 polydax speakers in each enclosure.ranging from around 5 1/2 inch to a 3 1/2 inch tweeter. They sound very good to my ears.Just wondering if anyone else has heard any of the polydax speakers or know how desirable they are. I had to replace one of the tweeters when I first got the speakers it was blown. The replacement cost me around 85 bucks, weighed about 2 pound's . also has any one ever heard of Watkins speakers? From Kingsport,TN. Bill Watkins.He had a line of speakers in the late 60's and 70's he called WSC 1As. Just wondering. Mike

I had a pair of 2-way Canadian Rega Camber speakers that had polydax drivers, very nice sounding speakers! :thmbsp:

Polydax are the same as Audax drivers which are very well made (or at least were) and
used in some of the most well respected speakers ever made. Spica for one!

Watkins could be the same deal if I remember right they were a well respected driver
maker also.

mike68 said:
I have a rather large set of speakers that were built by a speaker tech in Atlanta GA. They have 6 polydax speakers in each enclosure.ranging from around 5 1/2 inch to a 3 1/2 inch tweeter. They sound very good to my ears.Just wondering if anyone else has heard any of the polydax speakers or know how desirable they are. I had to replace one of the tweeters when I first got the speakers it was blown. The replacement cost me around 85 bucks, weighed about 2 pound's . also has any one ever heard of Watkins speakers? From Kingsport,TN. Bill Watkins.He had a line of speakers in the late 60's and 70's he called WSC 1As. Just wondering. Mike

Not much to add except that Audax could not use its name in the US as an earlier TT company from the 60's had it. So, they used Polydax here. Back then the US importer's office was in Wilmington, MA. The main company is owned by Harman International now, and makes a wide range of offerings from cheap to exotic. Overall, the quality was/is very good. AFAIK, they have always been made in France.

You may get more hits on this subject if it were posted in the speaker forum. The Watkins driver question may be the same guy who designed the Watkins drivers for the Infinities of the late 70's early 80's. Charivari should be able to confirm that if indeed they are one in the same.

mac

thanks for responding,Macaltec. He did in fact have a speaker design that infinity used. His main claim to fame I believe was his dual drive woofer design. They are actually still in business in the same location in Kingsport,TN. My teacher worked for mr.Watkins in the 60's and 70's as a tech. "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be" Honest Abe Lincoln

The Polydax silk dome tweeters are excellent and far superior to Polk or vifa domes and perform their best when utilized as a low tweeter. When combined (rolled in) with a quality super tweeter (air motion, ribbon, walsh) at 12-130000 khz they are outstanding.

My dynaco A30xl’s (1978) use polydax tweeters and,to me, seem very accurate in reproducing the high notes...

theres a bit of a difference between audax and early polydax same company but early polydax were made in France and sound fantastic in the right enclosure i have a pair of Watson Labs 10s built by a well known in the audiophile scene Canadian builder Dayton Wright in 1989 they use all polydax drivers in a very strange config seperate enclosures for upper and lower frequencys upper cabinet is open baffle design with 2 x 8 inch mids and 2 x tweeters one up firing one forward firing lower cabinet is sealed and filled with Argon gas doing this doubles the cubic feet of the cabinet a 2 cubic foot enclosure now becomes 4 cube only downfall is every 3 or 4 years i have to refill the gas bags its very audible to notice when its time to fill the gas bags normally they play extremely fast tight bass soon as there is sag in the gas bag audio becomes loose boomy

Got any pictures? I know the people who were the local Atlanta distributor for Polydax/Audax in the day.

Also- the last time someone wound up with something like this- it turned out to be a John Fusilier design... that's definitely an arrangement that he might had done, back in the day.

Regards,
Gordon.

Back
Top Bottom