Acquired technics sl-q200. Is it worth a $50 - $100 cartridge? Or buy new table?

jim nielsen

I am just wondering if this table is worth investing in. i don't have a great record collection or even a great stereo. i just want to have the option to play some records.

Is the sl-q200 worth buying the $50 New-old-stock ortofon OMP-5e cartridge I found or should I buy a brand new USB turntable? Or whatever the kids are using these days.

Thank you
I am in toronto, Ontario.
Jim N

Yes, the OMP5e is very good, and can be upgraded all the way to OM40, one of the best T4p MM options out there. Your SL-Q200 in good order performs very well, and yes, I'd buy the Ortofon for it.

While I am not a fan of p-mount cartridges, I would pick that combination over any of the new USB turntables currently offered. Another popular p-mount would be the AT 92ECD for under $40

I really appreciate the guidance - I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO BUY THE ORTOFON FOR $40 US.
I have a really clean copy of Abbey Road I am excited to listen to.

That was my first TT, I ran an AT92e on it. I remember that cart being only like $25 shipped. It was a very good TT ime. Just a little sensitive to subwoofer feedback.

Last edited:
I'd stay 100 kil away from whatever toy turntable the kids are using now and if it's a USB turntable I'd stay 200 kil away, your Technics SL-Q200 is a far superior table.

Last edited:
Excellent entry level direct drive from an experienced top shelf manufacturer. Definitely not a toy player.

I am just wondering if this table is worth investing in. i don't have a great record collection or even a great stereo. i just want to have the option to play some records.

Is the sl-q200 worth buying the $50 New-old-stock ortofon OMP-5e cartridge I found or should I buy a brand new USB turntable? Or whatever the kids are using these days.

Thank you
I am in toronto, Ontario.
Jim N
Jim, if you keep the Ortofon, replace tip with any of the higher numbered, advanced profile shaped diamonds that will fit it. Your better served by following the advice/options suggested by Manfred. Ortofon is a "warmer" or rounded sounding cartridge than the "more detailed" or sharper AT presentation which is best description I think described the difference generally between brands. Each listener prefers one presentation to other. The AT-"400s" are "mechanically" on a level with that company's much more expensive at the time and better performing models while your 5e is on par with the least costly/construction offerings for the time by either company. The NOS or OEM advanced profile replacement tips for the Ortofons seem to cost more than do the comparative profile ATs, by my recent survey. I am looking to re-tip an OM5 I do not like the numbers I'm seeing and certainly cannot find anything suitable for $35.00.

The SL-Q200 is the same as my SL-Q300 it just lacks repeat. I bought it for $50 from some guy on the web, it was in nearly perfect shape. These tables are quartz locked, direct drive. They will stand with the best of the entry level tables with a good cart and stylus. They have better reliability then most made today. It is worth a good P-Mount cart. Choices include the mentioned Ortofon, Audio Technica AT311EP or AT92ECD (I have a AT311EP on mine), Shure's M92, and any cart from Grado's Prestige lineup.

@Manfred, or anyone else, of the three Audio Technica carts links you listed, are they all roughly the same, or does one stand out as better, or different?

Back
Top Bottom