AR-2AX vs Realistic Mach One

Ryanj52

I am still learning a lot about vintage speakers and I noticed on craigslist a guy has a few pairs of vintage speakers for sale. AR-2AX, Sansui 2000 and Realistic Mach One. I am going to give him a call and go check them out, I am interested in all 3 but really thinking about the AR-2AX and Mach Ones. Everything being almost equal in price which would you buy? It seems like they have people that like both. I just refoamed a pair Advent/1 and have a pair of Sansui's. Just looking for another project.

Thanks Ryan

Buy'em all !
The Ar2ax are better for easy listening with deep bass and soft highs. Watch and watch again for all drivers to work properly. Listen too.

Mach one are like Cerwin Vega.... much more party speakers, less refined.

Take the Sansui 2000 to go with the AR but not with the Machs

Guys, Thanks I am going to check them out, he is asking $75 for the Realistics and for AR's and $50 for Sansui's

As stated above, the Mach I's are a party/rock speaker with screaming highs and one-note bass that doesn't go anywhere near as low as the size of the woofer and cabinet would suggest. Price is right on all of them (if condition merits), but if you want something you might want to actually listen to, get the AR's.

$75 for AR 2ax's? Don't ask any questions just grab 'em fast. Those are easily $200+ speakers, depending on the shape and where you're at. Great speakers.

I've had both Mach I's and Ar2ax, the AR's are hands down a better sounding speaker. But both are priced well below market, I'd be tempted to buy both and flip the Mach I's.

^^^^ This! If it were me, I'd probably make an offer on all three as a package and keep what I wanted (if any actually impressed me) and flip the rest or all of them. At those prices, it would be hard to lose any $$$ on the deal.

The 2ax is not a bad speaker at all and actually does sound pretty good, but it is 4 ohm so make sure your equipment is up to snuff.

I ran mine with a Pioneer SX-1010 and thought it was barely adequate.YMMV

The 2ax is not a bad speaker at all and actually does sound pretty good, but it is 4 ohm so make sure your equipment is up to snuff.

I ran mine with a Pioneer SX-1010 and thought it was barely adequate.YMMV

I don't know, but don't doubt, that some (later?) AR2ax were of 4 ohm nominal impedance, but some if not most (earlier?) AR2ax were nominally 8 ohm loudspeakers.
e.g., from a 1970 AR brochure (source: www.classicspeakerpages.net):

page11_3-2.jpeg

LRE catalog page (ca. 1966):
1966 ARs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The SX-1010, in good working order, should be a pretty reasonable power source for these, I would think. The SX-1010 was, by most folks' assessment, the first "super-receiver" (for better or worse) and its power output capabilities look about right for good results with the early AR monkey coffins.

SX1010 amp specs screenshot.png

Last edited:
If the AR's are in good shape buy em.Check the pots on the back ,it's a weak point on those.When up to snuff ,they are a fine speaker.

So, did you buy them all ?

Verrrry good prices IF in good working order...... Esthetics is nothing... you'll be happy to swipe any kind of dust from a pair of 2ax or the Sui.
If the Mach one model number ends with 4024, they are the rubber surround version... that's good.

Well I got busy and someone beat me there the listing was gone when I went to call on all of it.

That sucks! I love the AR sound, just depends on what kind of music you listen to. Like said before rock music is good on the rat shacks

Hmmmm......not sure why I thought they were 4 ohm, I stand corrected.

And don't get my wrong, the Sx-1010 did sound pretty damn good with these.

Back
Top Bottom