Pro-Ject Phono Box E (preamp) do I need it??

daza152

Hey guys just after some opions on whether I need to go down this path to get better sound? I currently have a Harman Kardon AVR20II connected to my Luxman PD272 and have been advised by someone I need to get an external phono stage to get a higher quality in sound. Do I need it or not?

No, you don't need it. You "need" water, food, shelter. But you will get better sound.

I'm speaking generally, I've never heard the Pro-Ject, only a dozen other external phono preamps. And note, external doesn't always mean "better", I have a couple of full-function preamps which include phono, and they're better than just about any external stage I've ever heard.

But with the HK AVR, definitely.

As discussed since you have a MM cartridge I would stay pat. Most high end external phono pre amps benefit MC not MM.

No, you don't need it. You "need" water, food, shelter. But you will get better sound.

I'm speaking generally, I've never heard the Pro-Ject, only a dozen other external phono preamps. And note, external doesn't always mean "better", I have a couple of full-function preamps which include phono, and they're better than just about any external stage I've ever heard.

But with the HK AVR, definitely.
Hi hey you sound l;ike you know for a fact that an external Phono stage or preamp wouyld benefit me ad I have a HK AVR with my MM cart? whatg do you recommend and keep in mind budget...Is $275US max. Thanks.

I've looked at so many but haven't actually heard any just going off reviews. Schiit Mani might be good?

Hi hey you sound l;ike you know for a fact that an external Phono stage or preamp wouyld benefit me ad I have a HK AVR with my MM cart? whatg do you recommend and keep in mind budget...Is $275US max. Thanks.
I have no personal experience with the current crop of preamps — all mine are older. I've seen good reviews of the Schiit Mani you mention. In your place, I'd order one in your price bracket that offers a 30-day return.

As discussed since you have a MM cartridge I would stay pat. Most high end external phono pre amps benefit MC not MM.
Hi
But this Project phono is not a high end external, it is entry level which is better than the majority of amps in the lower price range with a basic internal phono
Most high end amps don’t have a built in phono (except some beauties like EAR and Aesthetx that have a model with it included which definitely sound fabulous
My external dual mono photos by Whest Audio of UK are close to $20k so that’s definitely high end and I bought a project e for my daughters Rega planar 1 to go with her Harmon Kardon
Horses for courses I say
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom