Turntable Feedback

Steveharding

Hi everyone - I’m currently having an issue with feedback from my TT when I turn my receiver on. It will go away if I disconnect the ground wire and reconnect it. It has also caused my left channel to not be audible at all. Currently have a Marantz 2235 and Technics sl-1700mk2. Only a problem when the phono stage is on, not aux or radio. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks!

Aftermarket RCA's on the TT? Maybe a broken solder joint in the Marantz? Has the Marantz been deoxited?

Aftermarket RCA's on the TT? Maybe a broken solder joint in the Marantz? Has the Marantz been deoxited?
Original RCA’s on the TT, not sure about the solder joints. Would that occur even after unhooking/hooking ground? Seems to fix it every time..

Had similar problem on TT. The RCAs were old but fine — BUT the cable 1/2" behind the RCA was broken internally. Outer insulation was fine, so the break was invisible, but caused intermittent connection — jiggle it slightly = connection, jiggle it again = disconnection. Your ground wire might "seem" to have an effect because you're "jiggling" the dodgy RCA cable every time you play with the ground.

Are we really talking about feedback or is it turntable induced hum. I am guessing you are having a poor grounding caused hum. Feedback has to do with the speaker output and turntable being vibrated by the audio signal. I think you might settle the issue by replacing all wiring including the ground wire. You might have a dropped shield in one, or both, of your signal wires/interconnects.

Does the hum change if you touch the cart? I had this issue once, I pluged the phono wires from the head shell into the cart wrong :dunno:

If I touch the cart screws, the hum intensifies. But this just started a few weeks ago, has been working fine thus far.

Old guitar amp trick, turn over the power plug - if not polarized. Probably no help but worth a try.

I’m currently having an issue with feedback from my TT when I turn my receiver on. It will go away if I disconnect the ground wire
Does this mean you already have the switch set to phono upon power up of the amp? Is the TT turned on? I.e. have you tried upon turning off the amp, selecting Aux other then amp is on then you switch to TT.. same hum and gnd wire solution?

I'm leaning to a dirty selector switch but plausible bad ground wire noted above. If it were the rca's your solution wouldn't work and you'd have a bad channel.

Old guitar amp trick, turn over the power plug - if not polarized. Probably no help but worth a try.

Haha, knew about it already, but funny you mentioned this; it's on my Todo list when I get home. After relocating my stuff recently I noticed last night my TT had hum when I touched it.

Back
Top Bottom