Recommendations for office/nearfield system

Dynamicmad

I just want it to sound good
Moving into a new office and want to set up a nice system it would be near field and run mainly from the computer. Dac amp options....... maybe powered monitors. I am open to what ever.

Please give a bit more detail. How large is your budget. How much room do you have for equipment. Used or new.

I will follow with interests this thread, I also though of buying active monitor to save some desk real estate and having speakers designed specifically for near field listening.

For now I stayed with bookshelves Monitor Audio Bx2 I had in the living room before and upgraded the integrated amp. I think they do a decent job for near field as they can go relatively low just dont have the volume for filling a large room, they can sound a little arsh/metal on treble side and positionning them correctly was hard with 2 screens in between. But I do enjoy the setup a lot very detailled and subtle. These days I'm tinkering with software upsampling on the computer, from mostly FLAC 16bit 44.1KHz cd rips. This can transcend the system compared to upsampling as done by cheap hardware dac.

If I had to buy everything new, I would seriously considered a decent dac with variable volume and active monitor speakers. Would love to hear teac ud-501(bad example it has fixed line out) and prodipe ribbon 8 monitors

Last edited:
Yes, as Wayner states I am quite impressed with what you can get these days for a few hundred bucks with the JBL LSR 305. I had these set up in a very small room with my work bench and were aprox 36 inches from my head and they performed so well there, and had good imaging thanks to the Waveguide tech.. Since then I have put them on duty with the TV and the room size is 16 by 20. These little biamped wonders produce great sound! Watched Whiplash the other day cranked up a little louder and they had no problem delivering those drums with enough headroom to spare (No distortion detected)

I can't imagine a better computer speaker for the money so long as there is a bit of room in the back as the ports fire rearward. Bottom line, for the money (almost stocking stuffers on sale!) they are quite amazing and I intend to buy another pair soon to have dedicated pairs at my bench and TV. Amplifiers? don't need em, they have them already! Just a couple cords and any source from a cell phone on up and you are ready for some big sound from small enclosures.

My recent Office PC based setup Is

JRiver > Firestone Fubar DAC > Lepai 20X20 > Dynaudio Audience 42s

I always used a pair of DCM CX-17s in my office with whatever new amp or receiver I had for power. The DCMs seemed to like whatever I threw their way, as far as amps go.

I agree with Wayner about the JBL LSR 305 -- I have a set for my desk and have been happy with them. From the computer to a small Cambridge DAC to the speakers!

If space and/or budget are limited, you might be very pleasantly surprised by the combination of a Lepai 2020 and a pair of Realistic Minimus 7s.

1000 budget. I have space but want monitors on my desk. Powered or not I’m good either way.

I'd probably roll with a Schiit Jotunheim (preamp) & a pair of those JBL LSR-305,as that unit has XLR outs for the JBL monitors.
Only ??? is whether to go with the optional internal DAC module in the Jotunheim -or- opt for something a bit nicer like a Bifrost MB.
The later (Bimby) would push the whole deal slightly over budget but I'd probably still spring for it as I feel it would be worth it.
I say that as the new Bifrost MB are shipping with their new Gen5 USB and that's supposed to be VERY nice (ala' the Eitr).
And I'd probably get those both in the black finish myself,same as I'd do for the JBL LSR's (ie: not too flashy).
And for cables I'd probably use Hosa -or- Mogami (nice but not too spendy).

JM2¢

Good luck whatever way you choose to go !

Bret P.

Last edited:
The LSR305 has a lot going for it and deserves all the high praise. Get the DAC of your choice, a $50 Schiit preamp to switch sources and you're all set. My only hesitation for desktop use is they're a little larger than I've got room for on my desk. YMMV.

My usual go-to desktop speaker is the NHT Superzero, about 1/3 the size of the LSR305. More complicated since they require an amplifier (and a subwoofer for anything more than talk radio.) But I do everything the hard way.

Powered monitors are perhaps your best and simplest option. They have the advantage of being optimized for its internal amp. This allows them to produce the low bass of some large bookshelf speakers and remain smooth through the highest frequency without an EQ, tone controls or the loudness function.

I'm liking what I see from the AudioEngine line up.

Also you might consider the better computer speakers with or w/o a sub.Some of them work well as nearfield monitors, for the same reasons powered speakers will for small spaces.

Last edited:
I have put together a little desktop system as well, and am immensely impressed with the AudioEngine 2+ speakers. Powered little boxes with a beautiful fit and finish. Added the $29 stands to provide some upward tilt to the speaker. Hooked up via USB to my iMac, and using Spotify, iTunes, and various other sources for music. Also have a HiFiMan EF2A (older model), with Grado SR80e 'phones for more private or late night listening sessions. In my humble opinion, decent sound for my workspace!

Back
Top Bottom