Today's JAZZ playlist

Radio for the rest of the night.

WBGO.png

Eric riding the waves

I traded a turntable for a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 today. I had to drill another hole in my desk but here it is outputting to my Elekit tube amp. and then to Optimus LX-4 speakers. It sounds good so far.

Cambridge DacMagic 100 and Elekit. by Buhduh, on Flickr
Nice DAC.:thumbsup: I recently picked one up as well for dirt cheap (100.00). No box, manual or power supply but Cambridge sent me a power supply for free after contacting them. It's a great sounding unit.

I didn't have 192khz capability so I gave it a shot. I even think it might sound a little better than the one in my amp. But I cant really say for sure.

Anyways enjoy the new DAC. Cambridge makes great gear.

Gabor Szabo High Contrast.JPG

Gabor Szabo High Contrast BTS 28- Blue Thumb Records a 1971 release
I've been playing to this record quietly in the background while I work, that was a mistake. It doesn't need to be turned to 11, but it reveals a lot with a higher volume. It is one of those that I've had to play twice because I wasn't expecting to be this good.

View attachment 1062969

Gabor Szabo High Contrast BTS 28- Blue Thumb Records a 1971 release
I've been playing to this record quietly in the background while I work, that was a mistake. It doesn't need to be turned to 11, but it reveals a lot with a higher volume. It is one of those that I've had to play twice because I wasn't expecting to be this good.
One of my all time favorites. Fantastic album. :thumbsup:

Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin

Billie-H.jpg

I absolutely love Billie Holiday. It’s really a shame that very few of her recordings sound good. I have to be in the right mood to play them because of the “lo-fi” nature of most of them...but she was special, no question about it.

I haven't listened to Billie in a while. If I had to name a favorite jazz singer, she would be it. I haven't considered the sound sources of her recordings. I can't imagine the audio being so bad, they would stop you from listening.

Marsalis Standard Time 1.JPG

1987/Columbia

Streaming this off Spotify this morning to my Sonos Play:1s because I don't want to go downstairs and dig out the CD.

Here's the thing: I've argued for a long time that Marsalis hit his peak with "Black Codes From The Underground" and "J Mood," which I hear as extensions of Miles' second great quintet. Over the years, I've viewed "J Mood" and the live album that came a ways after as the dividing line, after which Marsalis got increasingly stuck in a weird blind alley version of tradition. But listening to this Sunday morning - and the order of albums was apparently "J Mood," "Marsalis Standard Time Volume 1," and then "Live at Blues Alley" - I'm hearing something different. This album belongs with "Codes" and "J Mood," I think . Marsalis wasn't anywhere near as self-conscious as I remembered, and these takes on standards are distinctly modern. At least on this one, he got the balance between new and tradition right. So that's an impressive run - three, maybe four albums from the 80s that were clouded by the politics of the time, but 30 years on sound clear and smart.

s.

Back
Top Bottom