Marantz 8B help needed!

I don't recommend using the amp until you have all of its problems corrected. Why take a chance on causing more problems which could be costly to repair.

I don't recommend using the amp until all of its problems have been corrected. Why take a chance on causing more problems that could be costly to repair.

Hope you find the issue.

Regarding replacing signal caps- do your homework first. Some caps produced back in the day were mylar-paper and do not have the leakage issues that other caps have (like sprague bumblebees). Usually, the red-print black body spragues are mylar film. As is the Cornel-Dublier avocado green caps and some El Menco's. I can't recall if the good-alls are mylar. Test for leakage. Have an old Radio-Master catalog and check the cap codes. If mylar & good, leave them in place; they will last. Keep it original if possible. A truly legendary amplifier.

If you are still having problems, let me know and I will measure B+ etc., it won't be difficult to isolate the problem.

8B's are a legend, sell for a lot, less changes the higher the value. So it can be difficult to decide how much to update. I updated one, left another stock, so I could compare the sound. Coupling caps I mixed PIO's and film in the one I updated. I have used orange drops in lesser value amps, they sound ok. Since they have already been changed to orange drops, I suggest fix your problem first then upgrade them. I have seen original replacements on ebay, that would help the value, but you would need to keep an eye on them.

Mine is mostly original, except front end caps, elyticaps, bias rectifier, and two screen stoppers.M8 Interior2.jpg

I have nothing to offer on the repairs, but what's the story on a craigslist 8b? I've only seen one on cl, and the ad was QUICKLY edited to say "I had no idea what I was holding, this thing's going on ebay."

Marantz 8 after re-cap bottom view rfs.png
Mine is mostly original, except front end caps, elyticaps, bias rectifier, and two screen stoppers.View attachment 1062986

I see that there are AudioCap Thetas at the "input" (as is mine).

That said, a note to those researching the Marantz 8b set up: connect the amp input RATHER through the "TEST"! Counterintuitive, but true.

There are many authoritative references such as Steve Hoffman who wrote: "By the way, always use the TEST inputs on the back with your interconnects. This insures you get the full bandwidth". The posters go on to say that, the "PREAMP" inputs added low-frequency filtering to the circuit for turntable rumble (not a feature in modern decks), whereas the "TEST" input does not.

1N4007 is what I used on my Model 8. For further assistance I suggest you start your own thread as this one is almost six years old.

Back
Top Bottom