What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Goes without sayin that this remaster is off the chart. It is truly like hearing it for the first time. Warmth and space abound in the mix.
Having it again on vinyl with all the trimmings is the big attraction for me.
(this new Canon Rebel T6i is the bomb - that first pic with the flash and shrink wrap is a recipe for disaster)
028.jpg
031.jpg

032.jpg
035.jpg

038.jpg
043.jpg

Frank....... I want one....... congrats......new stuff is flying around the thread this week.

The Loudness is like no other. Yamaha is the only one that has the variable loudness control, that I know of. It tones down the midrange and high frequencies. It doesn't boost the bass and treble. By turning down the loudness you bring up the bass. You can really dial in the tone of a recording to your ears. I have the bass & treble set to the max, I'm a bass freak. ;)

I suggest you get the Grado 8MZ stylus for your Grado Geen. Takes Grado cartridges to a new level! I would also suggest you get the KAB USA fluid damper for the tonearm of your SL-1210. You'll get a more 3D sound stage with it![/QUOTEi In the manual for my RX 596 they suggest to set the loudness on flat turn the volume up to the loudest level you would normally listen and control the volume with the loudness knob. I find that hard to do as I'm always playing with it.

My first pair of Advent Baby II speakers both had woofer surround rot and I fried a tweeter on one. Replaced both the woofers and tweeters. That was years ago before I had internet access. Those speakers I wouldn't call Advent. They do have a better high frequency range but lack the bass.

Years ago back in the early '80's a friend's brother had Advents suspended from the basement rafters. Had a vintage tubed integrated amp (don't remember the brand name), and a Thorens TD-165 with an Ortofon VMS 5E cartridge. That system had amazing bass!! Couldn't believe the sound from those Advent speakers! That was the first time I heard Advent speakers.

I did have a Kenwood 4070 receiver with EPI 100 speakers back then. That was another awesome combo! Those EPI 100s really rocked out!

One thing I KNOW I am doing wrong is not getting the Advents off the floor. I need to find or build stands of some kind. Other priorities related to moving into a 150 year old rowhouse are keeping me from spending the cash on that task. But I know that would make a difference in the bass response.

Last edited:
The Loudness is like no other. Yamaha is the only one that has the variable loudness control, that I know of. It tones down the midrange and high frequencies. It doesn't boost the bass and treble. By turning down the loudness you bring up the bass. You can really dial in the tone of a recording to your ears. I have the bass & treble set to the max, I'm a bass freak. ;)

I suggest you get the Grado 8MZ stylus for your Grado Geen. Takes Grado cartridges to a new level! I would also suggest you get the KAB USA fluid damper for the tonearm of your SL-1210. You'll get a more 3D sound stage with it!

Yes, a thousand times yes! The variable loudness control is what sold me on my very first Yamaha receiver in 1978. The receiver was rated at only about 25 watts... the times were different! But I tell you, that variable loudness control was a miracle worker. It made up for the wattage deficiency. It's something that Yamaha has down perfect. It's one of the things that keeps me attached to my old A-1020.

One thing I KNOW I am doing wrong is not getting the Advents off the floor. I need to find or build stands of some kind. Other priorities related to moving into a 150 rowhouse are keeping me from spending the cash on that task. But I know that would make a difference in the bass response.

Get another pair of Advents for the stands. It's Christmas time after all.......

Barney

I suggest you get the Grado 8MZ stylus for your Grado Geen. Takes Grado cartridges to a new level! I would also suggest you get the KAB USA fluid damper for the tonearm of your SL-1210. You'll get a more 3D sound stage with it!

That's a nice feature that Yamaha offered.

You have some awesome, personal memorabilia FOH. That set list is cool (as is the pick). I dig the Smithereens, but I love Los Lobos, btw.

Give me a "B!" Give me an "L!" (Well, you get it)...

BLITZ!!!! Welcome back and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! It's a Festivus miracle! Yes, you missed a lot (but not as much as you were missed!).

I got a nice new box set, but I will post about it later. Happy to hear that (most of) the entire team is back in play. Catch you all later tonight.

GJ

GJ Thanks for the gracious compliment and the kind words for Chris as well. I save everything I ever have an opportunity to save that matters to me.
You would love the hundreds and hundreds of Guitar Player Magazine, and Vintage Guitar Magazines going back to 76'..
One night I'll post the month long saga of my stolen and returned PRS Hollow Body Artist II, you as a guitar will enjoy it I promise..

Back
Top Bottom