What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Welcome to the thread epifanatic.

I would love to hear about it! But I would not call myself a "guitar-player." Same with keyboards. I am a keyboard owner, and a guitar owner.

In our last move (just recently), I found several boxes of recording mags, stereo mags, drum and percussion mags, and a bunch of guitar and keyboard magazines as well, plus Rolling Stones from when I had a subscription. I always thought I'd need an "archive" (pre Internet). But they were just too darn heavy to move! I hope someone picked them up that can use them.

Guys, I got a brand new/NOS/sealed copy of the four CD set "Nat King Cole-- The Classic Singles" on Capitol. It's a beautiful package, and worth it for the first disc alone. I don't know what the original retail was in 2003, but they seem to be going now for anywhere from $25-$50-plus on-line. My retail cost? $12!!!

View attachment 1065585

View attachment 1065586

I LOVE vinyl, and it is my main thing, but I've got no truck with CD's, and I have plenty and I'm sure I'll get more. I'm not going to buy a ticket on the "CD's suck/vinyl is always better" train, because it is always a complex issue with so many factors so it depends on the original release, your equipment, etc. But I'll tell you this, if you do listen to CD's, now is the time to buy. They are where vinyl was several years ago-- you can get really good stuff very cheap.

More later-- going to watch some Charlie Brown with the family!

GJ

I feel your pain on the storage and weight issues, but almost without fail everything connected to the golden age of hi fi, music , guitar catalogs, and ephemera connected to the post war music world into the 90's seems to continue to accrue value. I see sold listings on certain magazines as high as $45.00.

On_Air_%28Alan_Parsons_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Welcome to the thread epifanatic.

I would love to hear about it! But I would not call myself a "guitar-player." Same with keyboards. I am a keyboard owner, and a guitar owner.

In our last move (just recently), I found several boxes of recording mags, stereo mags, drum and percussion mags, and a bunch of guitar and keyboard magazines as well, plus Rolling Stones from when I had a subscription. I always thought I'd need an "archive" (pre Internet). But they were just too darn heavy to move! I hope someone picked them up that can use them.

Guys, I got a brand new/NOS/sealed copy of the four CD set "Nat King Cole-- The Classic Singles" on Capitol. It's a beautiful package, and worth it for the first disc alone. I don't know what the original retail was in 2003, but they seem to be going now for anywhere from $25-$50-plus on-line. My retail cost? $12!!!

View attachment 1065585

View attachment 1065586

I LOVE vinyl, and it is my main thing, but I've got no truck with CD's, and I have plenty and I'm sure I'll get more. I'm not going to buy a ticket on the "CD's suck/vinyl is always better" train, because it is always a complex issue with so many factors so it depends on the original release, your equipment, etc. But I'll tell you this, if you do listen to CD's, now is the time to buy. They are where vinyl was several years ago-- you can get really good stuff very cheap.

More later-- going to watch some Charlie Brown with the family!

GJ

I found a 6 record box set of Nat King Cole from the 1960's at a thrift store. Records are in excellent condition. Also found a 3 CD box set of Quincy Jones spanning his entire career for a couple of bucks. That box set I'm sure sold for $35+! I still do find some nice buys here and there.

They are pretty fantastic. I love Advent very much. I'm a big fan of Henry E Kloss. It's a nice change from the British equipment. Although don't get me wrong I also love Robin Marshall and Julian Vereker but tonight I went with Saul Marantz.

I'm with ya there. Mind you I'm listing to British made speakers :)

Recently let go of my Onix amp, damn thing was clean as all get out. Went to a good home. As for Marantz, was running dual 250Ms a while back. Those are gone as well. I'm a pio freak, have been for years.

Speakers I'm no stickler, if they sound good I like them.

I do have a soft spot for vintage Advents, KLH, and realistic speakers. I tend to not be able to leave them if I find them on the hunt. :) nice foam work!

I'm with ya there. Mind you I'm listing to British made speakers :)

Recently let go of my Onix amp, damn thing was clean as all get out. Went to a good home. As for Marantz, was running dual 250Ms a while back. Those are gone as well. I'm a pio freak, have been for years.

Speakers I'm no stickler, if they sound good I like them.

I do have a soft spot for vintage Advents, KLH, and realistic speakers. I tend to not be able to leave them if I find them on the hunt. :) nice foam work!

I heard lots of good things about Onix. Nice Marantz gear you had by the way. I'm the same with speakers, I own about 17 sets or so. I own a set from each company you named too. I'm about to start hunting for different amps and receivers soon. Thanks refoaming is something I've been doing since 17. Hardest set was Cizek Model 1 woofers but were worth the frustration.

Back
Top Bottom