Sansui SP-5500 - what’s it worth?

You are a very lucky seller to fetch $600 for those. Not so long ago, those Sansui's were only made fun of as Kabuki's...along with similar types of Pioneers speakers. Pioneer speakers took off to an unreal price category which I really don't understand why. Then those Sansui's started to creep up in price. I can only think of it as supply vs demand issue. Anyways, good for you. I was gonna say, sell for whatever you can get. I've heard almost all of the Sansui and Pioneer speaker lineup, and honestly can not understand why some people think they're great sounding.

I bet he'll flip them for $1,000-2,000 in few years. People collect TOTL Pioneer and Sansui speakers.
Sansui SP-series speakers actually sound pretty good. CS-99A are great speakers, especially with tubes, very efficient.

However, sound is not the selling point.
There're dozens of great sounding speakers, that worth very little. Great sounding speakers are not that rare, and most of them, are not that valuable.

Speakers must be collectible to bring money.
Collectors pay good money not for sound, but for particular model and then condition, condition, condition.

Well, I've only read one page, and maybe replying now is too soon, but I can't wait!

I've had 8 or 10 pairs of Sansui speakers, and I've liked all of them. Especially the earlier ones with wood grills and real wood veneer cabinets. I also think they are beautiful looking and well made. Those of you who say there is no bass either are trying out completely different speakers than I have, or else you are using the wrong type of amplification!

For what it's worth, it can sometimes be problematic matching them to the right amp or receiver, but once you do, they sound very very good. I like matching the larger units to a good high current amplifier. I find they sound thin with an amp rated for 8 ohms such as most Sansui receivers and amps. Mine did very well with Kenwood.

Last edited:
You are a very lucky seller to fetch $600 for those. Not so long ago, those Sansui's were only made fun of as Kabuki's...along with similar types of Pioneers speakers. Pioneer speakers took off to an unreal price category which I really don't understand why. Then those Sansui's started to creep up in price. I can only think of it as supply vs demand issue. Anyways, good for you. I was gonna say, sell for whatever you can get. I've heard almost all of the Sansui and Pioneer speaker lineup, and honestly can not understand why some people think they're great sounding.

The midrange is incredibly sweet on all models I’ve heard (which is only the SP-3200 and SP-5500). The highs are rolled off a bit too much for me (but my HPM-100s don’t give me ear fatigue) and the bass is lacking in smaller cabs (though was sufficient in the massive 5500 cabinets).

Your claim of “I was gonna say, sell for whatever you can get” is grossly out of touch based on the number of replies and offers I received.

Not so long ago, those Sansui's were only made fun of as Kabuki's.

I also think labeling an entire brand “kabuki” is incredibly ignorant. Have you heard literally every single speaker produced by Sansui, if yes I’ll apologize.

Finally I’ve got to say, and maybe this is the “politically correct” millennial in me, that the term “Kabuki” is borderline racist at most and culturally derogatory at least. This is a term that really ought to no longer be used. Come up with another term.

Last edited:
I also think labeling an entire brand “kabuki” is incredibly ignorant. Have you heard literally every single speaker produced by Sansui, if yes I’ll apologize.

Finally I’ve got to say, and maybe this is the “politically correct” millennial in me, that the term “Kabuki” is borderline racist at most and culturally derogatory at least. This is a term that really ought to no longer be used. Come up with another term.
Yes, like I said, I have heard most of their speakers and still have 6-7 pairs of them covered in dust sitting in the storage. As for the term Kabuki, I know exactly what it means and the origin of the word. I have no idea why in the world anyone would think it is racist to use that word.

I had to join this thread to set the record straight on these babys.
The sp-5500 was not sold in the US and they are quite rare and sought after. These are not the sp-5500X those were smaller and nowhere near the sound quality of the 5500. The reason why people are hating on them is they have probably never heard a pair in person. They may have heard many low line sansui which there were tons of that have always been considered lack luster but these are different.
I would put mine up against any large speaker out there and watch it eat them alive. I think it's funny when people generalize a brand and wrap all the products into that pre conceived notion that they suck. These speakers do not suck. Actually they are fantastic well built monsters. If you are lucky enough to have a pair of these in good shape and recapped, take my advise and hold on to them. I like them better than my klipschhorns. Truly top notch sansuis. But be careful of you back when lifting them. I was laid out for 2 weeks with a ripped muscle.

I wouldn't mind having a set to put though its paces.I have read for a long time about the hate for Sansui speakers( I had a pair of black Z99s so I can understand)).I had a set of sp200 IIRC and I was quite surprised how good they sounded out in the middle of the room driven by Sansui 2000x playing a Mapleshade sampler cd.

Amazing how cheap those connectors look for a TOTL speaker, but it wasn't just Sansui who did that. I'd be changing those out for some 5-way gold plated ones, although of course the originality purists would get agitated. :D

The sp-5500 was not sold in the US and they are quite rare and sought after. These are not the sp-5500X those were smaller and nowhere near the sound quality of the 5500. The reason why people are hating on them is they have probably never heard a pair in person. They may have heard many low line sansui which there were tons of that have always been considered lack luster but these are different.
I would put mine up against any large speaker out there and watch it eat them alive. I think it's funny when people generalize a brand and wrap all the products into that pre conceived notion that they suck. These speakers do not suck. Actually they are fantastic well built monsters. If you are lucky enough to have a pair of these in good shape and recapped, take my advise and hold on to them. I like them better than my klipschhorns. Truly top notch sansuis. But be careful of you back when lifting them. I was laid out for 2 weeks with a ripped muscle.

I completely agree with this!
I have a pair that my brother got at the Navy Exchange overseas back in 1970-ish.
Those saying these Sansui SP-5500 sound crappy, clearly never heard these monsters IRL.
I have them running through my 1980 Technics SA-828 and they ROCK!

I bet he'll flip them for $1,000-2,000 in few years. People collect TOTL Pioneer and Sansui speakers.
Sansui SP-series speakers actually sound pretty good. CS-99A are great speakers, especially with tubes, very efficient.

However, sound is not the selling point.
There're dozens of great sounding speakers, that worth very little. Great sounding speakers are not that rare, and most of them, are not that valuable.

Speakers must be collectible to bring money.
Collectors pay good money not for sound, but for particular model and then condition, condition, condition.

Well good thing I have another pair. :beatnik:

I have a pair I'd like to recap. Do you have suggestions.

Well, I've only read one page, and maybe replying now is too soon, but I can't wait!

I've had 8 or 10 pairs of Sansui speakers, and I've liked all of them. Especially the earlier ones with wood grills and real wood veneer cabinets. I also think they are beautiful looking and well made. Those of you who say there is no bass either are trying out completely different speakers than I have, or else you are using the wrong type of amplification!

For what it's worth, it can sometimes be problematic matching them to the right amp or receiver, but once you do, they sound very very good. I like matching the larger units to a good high current amplifier. I find they sound thin with an amp rated for 8 ohms such as most Sansui receivers and amps. Mine did very well with Kenwood.
I definitely agree with this. I have a set of SP5000 and SP5500 and they come alive powered with my Kenwood amp. Seems to be a perfect match

I was close to buying a cl set a few months back.The guy wanted $500 and I was second or third in line and they sold for the asking price.I figured I was ok with my D9 and DX9 so I didn't pursue it very hard.Never thought I would be considering throwing that much cash on some Sansui speakers.

I was close to buying a cl set a few months back.The guy wanted $500 and I was second or third in line and they sold for the asking price.I figured I was ok with my D9 and DX9 so I didn't pursue it very hard.Never thought I would be considering throwing that much cash on some Sansui speakers.
They seem to go from $400-$600 when they come up for sale. I love them, they really do sound very good...definitely not junk

They seem to go from $400-$600 when they come up for sale. I love them, they really do sound very good...definitely not junk
I never heard a pair but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt knowing the size and build quality.Still wouldn't mind having a pair but they do seem pretty uncommon round these parts.

I never heard a pair but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt knowing the size and build quality.Still wouldn't mind having a pair but they do seem pretty uncommon round these parts.
They are uncommon in my neck of the woods too. If you ever get a chance to get a pair, I would say go for it. They really pack quite a punch, I can’t imagine being disappointed with them

Late to the party, but at my age just getting there is enough . . . I have a pair of SP5500's I bought at the MCAS Iwakuni BX almost 50 years ago and they still make me smile when I power them up. I'm driving them with an equally vintage Kenwood X11G (with built in graphic equalizer) and while listening pleasure is in the ears of the beholder and type music played. Probably be for sale someday as my children prefer the simplicity of Bose.

Ps. Note sure why "kabuki" is racist. It is a recognized art form in Japan, although the term as applied is misused.

Ps. Note sure why "kabuki" is racist. It is a recognized art form in Japan, although the term as applied is misused.

Racist? Don't know where you got that one.

If a speaker is a "kabuki" speaker, then basically that means the speaker has a huge woofer that has very little output below 100hz, way too many tweeters and mids all lined up in a firing squad arrangement with enough comb filtering to part your hair right down the middle. The cabinet is likely to be made of particle board that is 1/2in thick at most and wrapped in vinyl rather than real wood veneer. A very poor quality product that looks as though it should produce all kinds of nice sounds......but it comes up short in all departments.

Kabuki......yup....that's it...

ul1EyBV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom