Anyone have experience with the Acurus P10 or Aragon 47k phono preamp?

Decibel_116

AK Subscriber
I can find little information on these two preamps. From what I have read so far, they are supposed to be similar. One posting described the Aragon as being the same with the exception of the power supply being external to the preamp enclosure itself. One may use better resistors than the other. Does anyone have any actual experience with either one of these. If so, how would you compare them with other offerings?

Aragon 47k rules. It sounds great.

I've seen web pics of the Acurus internals, which look identical in layout to the Aragon. No idea about part specifics.

Very hard to find these online because no one gets rid of them.

I picked up an Acurus P10 a little over a year ago and was thoroughly unimpressed. I paid $225.
Compared to other phono stages I have heard I would describe the Acurus as "blah".
Really well built inside and out, but it didn't do a thing for me and never got used.
I sold it to a friend who loves it.
Different ears, different cartridge, different speakers, it's all about synergy.

This seems to reflect what I have found, which is very little, on the web. People either love them or they hate them. I was just thinking about giving an all discrete design a try.

This seems to reflect what I have found, which is very little, on the web. People either love them or they hate them...
Don't forget you're talking about two different products. If you have found somewhere on the web that someone hates the 47K, could you please provide a link? :)

I had a 47k for a few years. It was a very nice sounding unit. I sold it to my buddy who refuses to sell it back. He likes it better than the one in his Levenson preamp.

On second thought, I'm not sure about posting links to other forums here. I don't want to break any rules. My point was, if you do a google search on these two preamps, there is a mix of opinions on them. The Aragon 47k has a few glowing reviews, some even comparing it favorably to the Audio Research (which I assume is quite the complement). Others are middling at best. However, there is really not that much out there on either one which is why I started this thread. Another reason is I like the rather simple discrete layout of the circuit along with what looks to be a beefy power supply (internal on the P10 and external on the 47K).

I couldn't resist so I went ahead and purchased one of each to review for myself in my system. The Acurus P10 is in my system as of early tonight and is warming up for a test run. The Aragon 47k is on it's way. I will update this thread after I spend some time with each one. I have already noticed an improvement in bass response.

On second thought, I'm not sure about posting links to other forums here. I don't want to break any rules. My point was, if you do a google search on these two preamps, there is a mix of opinions on them. The Aragon 47k has a few glowing reviews, some even comparing it favorably to the Audio Research (which I assume is quite the complement). Others are middling at best. However, there is really not that much out there on either one which is why I started this thread. Another reason is I like the rather simple discrete layout of the circuit along with what looks to be a beefy power supply (internal on the P10 and external on the 47K).

I couldn't resist so I went ahead and purchased one of each to review for myself in my system. The Acurus P10 is in my system as of early tonight and is warming up for a test run. The Aragon 47k is on it's way. I will update this thread after I spend some time with each one. I have already noticed an improvement in bass response.
Outstanding. I wish you as good luck with the 47K as I've had. :)

OK folks, I need a recommendation. The Aragon 47k arrived. The problem is the power supply is toast. The 47k uses a +/- 24VDC 500mA regulated power supply. I have looked online everywhere I know to look and only found one that meets this requirement. There are plenty of the single rail +24 VDC power supplies. However, the dual rail versions are nowhere near as common. I cannot find one that even had a power cord attached (the one that goes to the wall). I found one by BEL that will require a new case, power cord, and attachment of the preamp power cable. What a pain. I probably paid way too much for this thing in the first place. Should I return it for a refund or cobble a power supply for it. Is this preamp good enough to invest such time and money into it? I dunno. Anyone care to comment.

OK folks, I need a recommendation. The Aragon 47k arrived. The problem is the power supply is toast. The 47k uses a +/- 24VDC 500mA regulated power supply. I have looked online everywhere I know to look and only found one that meets this requirement. There are plenty of the single rail +24 VDC power supplies. However, the dual rail versions are nowhere near as common. I cannot find one that even had a power cord attached (the one that goes to the wall). I found one by BEL that will require a new case, power cord, and attachment of the preamp power cable. What a pain. I probably paid way too much for this thing in the first place. Should I return it for a refund or cobble a power supply for it. Is this preamp good enough to invest such time and money into it? I dunno. Anyone care to comment.

Amazon has this one: https://www.amazon.com/UpBright-Global-500mA-Adapter-Model/dp/B012HX3PPY

At one time rechargeable battery was quite popular as an alternative. :idea:

Update on the Aragon 47K. I purchased a chassis mounted power supply, the Power One International Series Power Supply HBB24-1.2-A. I was able to adapt the power cable from the original Aragon standard power supply to the new power supply. It's not the prettiest solution, but I can work on the cosmetics later. I then set the gain and impedance settings for my Audio Technics OC9/III and put the top back on the case (not very convenient for cartridge rollers). The sound is incredible. I now know why most people seem to keep these. I'm not really sure how much better a phono preamp can sound. Color me impressed. I was not expecting such a huge improvement over anything else I have tried - even the Acurus (which is quite good). I know I hit on something when my wife stopped in her tracks and asked what I was listening to. She said it sounded like they were in room with us (and she was just passing through). She then went on to say "that doesn't sound like a record, what did you do to it?". I don't think I will be forgetting this one for a long time (if ever).

Update on the Aragon 47K. I purchased a chassis mounted power supply, the Power One International Series Power Supply HBB24-1.2-A. I was able to adapt the power cable from the original Aragon standard power supply to the new power supply. It's not the prettiest solution, but I can work on the cosmetics later. I then set the gain and impedance settings for my Audio Technics OC9/III and put the top back on the case (not very convenient for cartridge rollers). The sound is incredible. I now know why most people seem to keep these. I'm not really sure how much better a phono preamp can sound. Color me impressed. I was not expecting such a huge improvement over anything else I have tried - even the Acurus (which is quite good). I know I hit on something when my wife stopped in her tracks and asked what I was listening to. She said it sounded like they were in room with us (and she was just passing through). She then went on to say "that doesn't sound like a record, what did you do to it?". I don't think I will be forgetting this one for a long time (if ever).
Congratulations. :beerchug:

Congratulations sounds like you have a keeper. Aragon made/makes some outstanding gear I'm so impressed with my Aragon 4004mkii amp that I'm addicted to there products and will probably be graduating to the Palladiums in the near future. Enjoy the music :thumbsup:

Audiofreak71

The 47K is most definitely a keeper. Aragon certainly has my attention. Aragon is a brand that I had not previously had much exposure to. I also purchased a D/A converter that comes with an IPS power supply that should arrive soon. I have much to learn about this brand so any guidance from Aragon experts for further research/reading will be most appreciated. Down another trail I go....

Just saw this tread today and was definitely interested in the Aragon results. Sorry about the power supply issue. Good you were able to get around that. If you want info on the Aragons you might touch base with Bostown on AK. He has had a variety of their units and I almost picked up an 8008 from him I have a 4004. He's been a great source of information on them. I've been interested in the 47k as well but now I have a DB System preamp which has been great but still am curious how the 2 match up.

Back
Top Bottom