I have a pair of Sennheiser's 650 and I don't like them.

One of my friends owns one. I don't like them. Too rolled off for my taste. They are dark sounding at the top end. Just my opinion.

Just seeing this thread now, and I sympathize with the OP. I've had a pair of 650s for about as long as he has, and they fall squarely into the category of "expensive things I should like better than I do," though I bought mine very reasonably off Head-Fi. I kinda, sorta made peace with them by doing what another poster does, using the Little Dot III, but of the three pairs of phones I own that I spent some money on, the Senns, the AKG K702s and the ATH AD700s, I reach for the Senns least often.

And the software an earlier poster mentioned looks interesting, especially if it helps compensate for age and hearing loss.

s.

General regard for the HD650's is high that's why I question is it me or is it my system. I'm thinking of a new DAC...
I have their older cousin the HD580 (same drivers) and they are not bright but very even on the HF side. My ears are 61 yr.old . Turn up the Treble if you need to.

I had a pair of HD650's last year. Thought they sounded utter crap. What was all the fuss about? Just not detailed enough for me, too rolled off and muddy sounding like you were listening to the music behind a curtain. I tried them both from the BH Crack and my Audiolab integrated but was not satisfied at all.

I love how the conversation keeps on going when the OP does not even drop in to see what condition his thread is in.

Good point. I was out of town for business and then I had the bright idea of painting my family room / music room for Thanksgiving. How long could that take?
In my mind two days, in reality two weeks. So there was no music until Thanksgiving day. The headphones stayed in the drawer. It was rude not to check in and for that I apologize. I still don't like the cans.

What exactly don’t you like about them?
This was the best response to my criticism because it made me think. They just sounded distorted. When I realized that I started going over my connections and settings. They were distorting because my DAC was being input with 48.0 KHz. It's an old school Adcom and it expects 44.1. So how did I reconcile this? Well I used my trusty old Sennheiser's 650 phones. I might not like them but they are revealing. The lesson learned is whenever I make a change in my system before the speakers is to get out the cans for the A/B tests.

Just seeing this thread now, and I sympathize with the OP. I've had a pair of 650s for about as long as he has, and they fall squarely into the category of "expensive things I should like better than I do," though I bought mine very reasonably off Head-Fi. I kinda, sorta made peace with them by doing what another poster does, using the Little Dot III, but of the three pairs of phones I own that I spent some money on, the Senns, the AKG K702s and the ATH AD700s, I reach for the Senns least often.

And the software an earlier poster mentioned looks interesting, especially if it helps compensate for age and hearing loss.

s.
"Expensive things I should like better than I do." Exactly. I have a pair of earphones I bought at the airport that I like better. If I buy another pair of phones I'm gonna listen first. Thanks for your comment.

I am the same age (62) and I have some mild hearing loss. I just discovered some great software that will do custom EQ for that model and also offers age based correction for high frequency hearing loss. Of course you have to be using PC or Mac as source but it works great. They have a 10 day trial. Sonarworks Tru-Fi https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi
I use a Mac Mini for playback. Your comment pushed me into buying some software and went with Audirvana. It has equalizer software built in. After some more evaluation I'll try to comment.

Back
Top Bottom