My Dirty Secret

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
Missing allen wrenches.

OK I got a few sets of allen wrenches around here where I am missing keys. And I got various keys in my audio tool box and sitting on my record rack or even turntables that I do not know where they go.

I just bought a new set from Amazon for micro wrenches, and I vow I am going to replace wrenches after use. I really am this time!

The question becomes what to do with the old wrenches. It's not like sizes are printed on them. I suppose I could go to McMaster Carr and order replacement keys. But I got to size them for length and head size.

Is it really worth it? Will I really do it?

Is anyone else an allen wrench abuser like me?

Regards
Mister Pig

Working as a Toolmaker in Machine Shops for 25 years I acquired a boatload of Allen Wrenches. I have several full sets in the plastic holders, with sizes on it, as well as tubs of loose ones.

If these are fractional, send me what you're missing. I have a TON that I inherited from my grandfather.

Allen wrenches haven't been an issue, but I was forever roaming around the house looking for screwdrivers, pliers and crescent wrenches which were usually in the vicinity of the last project.

Finally bit the bullet and bought three tool bags and three sets of redundant tools so I have a bag for plumbing, a bag for electrical and a bag for general carpentry.

Now if something gets lost it's most likely the entire bag, not just a single tool which makes finding it so much more gratifying!

Scissors, small files, hammers, screwdrivers, channel-locks, crescents, and missing mates of socks are hiding around here somewhere. And someone stole my metric and standard socket sets, kit and caboodle. I really miss caboodle. I'm pretty certain of the thief's identity, but can't prove it. Makes the small projects I can do a little more challenging.

Scissors, small files, hammers, screwdrivers, channel-locks, crescents, and missing mates of socks are hiding around here somewhere. And someone stole my metric and standard socket sets, kit and caboodle. I really miss caboodle. I'm pretty certain of the thief's identity, but can't prove it. Makes the small projects I can do a little more challenging.

It's likely my wife has been over to your place, and "put things away" for you. Just buy new.

I've got a handful of Allen wrenches loose that I don't know where they came from. The full set Allen wrenches I have has, so far, not lost any.

All the odd tools that we've bought over the years, the ones where we "Just bought new" if you will, were found in mass during our last move about 4 years ago. It allowed me to fully outfit my 3 sons with all the tools they will ever need.

They can lose their own stuff from now on. :)

Mark Gosdin

Not knowing what allen wrench fits what is my problem. Lately I've been labeling them using masking tape, then they all live in a freezer strength Ziplock bag. One for Thorens VTA, one for Back Door Doorknob, one for Curtain Rod M-Bedroom, etc.

Never lost one. Gained plenty over the years.

The small spare ones all sit on a magnet. Not only does the magnet keep them together, it catches the grub screw down the knob shaft and stops it from disappearing on the floor.

:)

Last edited:
They are easily measured with a dial caliper. They can be stored is a strip of wood or metal, just write the size on the holder. Only problem is sorting out metric and SAE on the close ones (8mm = .315, 5/16 = .3125)

I have a couple sets that I try to keep as sets. I have a pile of extras that I have a group of living in an Altoids tin for stereo use. Sometimes they fit for the tt work but I know I don't have a 3mm in that selection and reach for one of the sets. I return that key to the set when I'm done using it.

When we write procedures they have to be referred to as "hex key wrenches". Allen is a brand, not a wrench. I have a boatload, but mostly the wrong sizes. The more unusual and less used the size, the more of them I seem to have. I even have the giant one for the oil plug on Volkswagens. Haven't had a VW for decades. There was some metric one needed for the brakes on my Mazda. I couldn't find it to save my life, so went out and bought another one. I carefully set it in the tool box right next to the first one.

For the lab, I took a nice block of walnut and drilled all the right size holes for a standard set. Every wrench has a hole. Every hole has a wrench. Mostly I seem to put them back. I really prefer the longer ones. T-handles are nice too, but I've only got a couple that were purchased for specific needs.

EUREKA!....my first Big Idea of 2018!

But first, a sincere thanks to Mister Pig for starting this thread. You've inspired me, and I hope all mankind will benefit.

Here's what we do, see; instead of having allen wrenches, drill bits, screws and nuts and bolts and sockets all carefully put away in little holders, cases, jars or whatever, how about just putting away BY SIZE? So you've got your various mm box, your 1/8th box, your 1/4" box, etc, etc. And in that box is anything and everything you need for that particular size. Yeah. My world is going to be a better place.

Not knowing what allen wrench fits what is my problem. Lately I've been labeling them using masking tape, then they all live in a freezer strength Ziplock bag. One for Thorens VTA, one for Back Door Doorknob, one for Curtain Rod M-Bedroom, etc.
Exactly. A freezer bag is the only way to go.
Flipped me out when I realized they came in metric and standard too!

Back
Top Bottom