sub coax

may29901

My old TV has an audio out with red and whites .MY PSW 10 Polk sub has red and white in.
I f I use a bigger high quality rg6 and connect red to red ..will that be ok??THe TV regular speakers work fine even when the audio out is used.I am using the audio out only for a subwoofer sound.
Do I need both red and white??? SOme info says you dont need both ..that the Polk will combine the 2 channels anyway into mono...Will this work without losing anything??I have then connected now with both red and whites but those cables are cheap crappy cables and I want to use a big thick cable that is not being used for anything.
If so should I use red or white to join them?? And what setting should the low pass be adjusted to if needed??

Last edited:
I edited the question.
and I have read in more than 1 place that modern subs will join the 2 channel sounds into 1 mono sound anyway in the sub circuitry. So 1 cable will work. BUt I need some clarification if possible.

Last edited:
You'd probably get more of a response if you posted your question in a more appropriate forum. This one is for movies and television shows.

I edited the question.
and I have read in more than 1 place that modern subs will join the 2 channel sounds into 1 mono sound anyway in the sub circuitry. So 1 cable will work. BUt I need some clarification if possible.

The sub will sum the two channels to mono, but you need to supply both channels to the sub for it to do that.

One connection to the sub works only if the signal has already been summed to mono. In your situation that is not the case, so you DO need to connect both red (right) and white (left) to the sub.

I agree with the previous post suggestions of using both L & R RCA jacks to the sub.

That said it is quite likely the low bass that would go to the sub is processed in mono to reduce the size of the digit files from digital cable and sattalite boxes, and HDTV broadcasts anyway.

I will get a splitter for the TV end and that should supply 2 channels from the tv
into one(red) channel of the sub which will combine them..yes??

I will get a splitter for the TV end and that should supply 2 channels from the tv
into one(red) channel of the sub which will combine them..yes??
No. just run red to red and white to white. Then you are done.

Also make sure the output on the TV is Variable and not a Line out or you will have to be adjusting the Sub volume to match the TV volume all the time.

Back
Top Bottom