Please Help Identify Wood Type

Pete,

It is difficult (impossible) to make a conclusive determination of the species from that picture. The best you can expect are opinions about "what the wood LOOKS like". A close-up picture that shows the grain, flecks and pores would be helpful.

Identifying Wood - Accurate Results With Simple Tools - R. Hoadley is a good book on the subject of wood identification. It goes into extreme detail on the subject and isn't for everyone. Based on your posting history, I think you would probably like it.

If you are looking for a short simple answer... Yep, it's wood :)

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/02/07/yep-its-wood

I'd lay a six-pack this is not ash. Is this solid wood or veneer? If veneer I would guess a light cherry or walnut veneer (the whitewood part which doesn't generally look brown). I have a solid wood mantelpiece in my 1980s house which has a figure and color very similar to this, and up close the figure/grain looks like cherry. You're not going to see a wide variety of woods in veneer. Birch is a possibility.

If solid wood... I wouldn't guess pecan as that would be very f---ing heavy. Color would be about right.

p.s. a close-up would really help.

In addition to close-up pictures, knowing some information about the speaker would provide clues. For example, most speakers use wood species from the same continent. This is especially true for speakers that are mass produced. Of course, all bets are off if they are high-end, exotic speakers...

Knowing the manufacturer's production history might also limit the candidates. For example, some companies only offered 2 or 3 choices of wood. This makes things much easier.

Thanks everyone. It is a Guru QM40 from Sweden. I will have to look up what they offered
but there is no information on the box other than GURU printing.
It is brand new just out of the box, has been in the box for about 7 years.
Seems to be very dry.
It is veneer.

My next questions was what to use to oil and wax it, Feed&Wax or Teak oil? But I will certainly
take some close up pics.

I think that I have Hoadley's book so I'll have to dig it out.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Veneer makes the identification task harder. Hoadley's methods often use analysis of the end grain. Of course, there isn't much end grain with veneer. However, most times one can make a reasonable guess based on the pores and flecks.

Close-up inspection may also provide clues on the finish. What you use to "feed the finish" depends on what you are feeding. Usually some sort of destructive test (i.e. try to dissolve the finish with a solvent) in an inconspicuous spot is needed for a positive ID.

You are going to go into more detail about the actual speakers, aren't you? It is kind-of cruel to post a picture of the back and leave us hanging. ;)

Another pro here and I agree.

Thanks, I called Howard's and tech support said that many customers are using Feed&Wax
on Teak, so seems that is the way to go? Opinions?

It feels like they were just oiled, there is no feeling or look of poly on them but I am not good at this.

I should have mentioned that they were new in the box for 7 years or so.

You cannot feed wood or a clear coat finish. I will never recommend a product from that company.

If they were originally oiled, reoil them if the oil has dried out. However, from what I can see in your pic they look fine.

The color threw me off, but certainly looks like walnut. I have a walnut guitar and the grain pattern is similar.
Looks like Guru is still in business BTW. Maybe you could contact them and see if they can help.
http://guruaudio.com/?page_id=63

Look just like the teak that Bose used on the 10.2 series, oiled. The nordic countries use a lot of teak in furniture also.
New growth teak. Old growth is naturally darker, more "plain" and even looking.

Back
Top Bottom