JBL re-introducing the L-100

The Chinese do not set the tolerance for products, JBL/Harmon does. Things are built to product specifications. Condemning an entire nation for "bad tolerances is just plain nonsense. There are plenty of American companies that might practice such bad tolerances as well. It's not nation dependent, but rather, company dependent.
Agreed. PSB moved manufacturing to China a few years back. If any Company is going to demand quality, it is PSB.

The 4429s have a Made in Mexico on the JBL Harman tag, but I believe the drivers are made in China. JBL is like a lot of companies here in the states. They have moved their production to a more economical environment.

Pretty sure the Chinese are fully capable of building quality products. Anyone here own a cell phone or a tablet? Anybody here own an OPPO Blu-ray player?

I find this statement very offensive. I have 3 sets of JBLs that are made in China, and they are very high quality and sound better then many of my vintage speakers. I have the Studio 230, Studio 530 and the Studio 580 speakers. Very fine machines (no walnut cabinets).

I'm offended that you're offended.

Yeah, there were definitely signs of some hand-work on the grills in particular... these were likely built just for the show, would be surprised to see that kind of thing in the final production assemblies.

John

I'm noticing some imperfections on the grille and cabinet finish,:idea: hopefully it gets sorted.
jbl-speaker.jpg

l100-dial.jpg

I have been reading through all of the posts in regard to the new JBL L-100 and have duly noted that many of them are in regard to the $4000 price. I also happened to see a small article in a recent edition of Hi-Fi World in regard to a new Yamaha speaker, the NS-5000, which is being deemed as the "spiritual successor to the NS-1000M." I am not sure what the 1000M cost but the new NS-5000 is priced at an astounding $19,999 a pair!

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of focus on the $4K price tag (per pair, MSRP), rather than the actual speaker itself. And yes, the new Yamahas at $20K (per pair, MSRP) does seem a little extreme, but you will also notice that they are not even being offered in the North American market. Then take a quick perusal through the Klipsch Heritage line-up ranging from $2K to $8K (per pair, discount volume retailers).

The audio market (IMO) for anything priced above the $2K price point is highly competitive. JBL and many others offer gear/speakers well beyond this price point (aka, add one or two more zeros to the price tag). Call me foolish, or accuse me of being "wealthy" (which I am not), but $4K is not an "unrealistic" number for a well-engineered, and good sounding speaker. As I have posted previously, I have original L100s and the original sales receipt for ~$625.00 from 1977, so $4K in 2018 for something comparable (or hopefully better) doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

For those hung up on the $4000 per pair MSRP, have you seen the prices Kenrick Sound gets for their modified and restored JBL speakers? The Kenrick speakers are one of a kind (ok, technically two of a kind), hand built creations, not mass produced products, but they seem to sell them as fast as they can re-make them.

Custom finished L100 with Beryllium tweeters: 780,000 JPY = $7045 USD

Standard 4311B with recapped crossovers: 548,000 JPY = $4949 USD

Standard 4311A with recapped crossovers in gray utility cabinets: 520,000 JPY = $4696 USD

4312MKII with recapped crossovers with stepped attenuators: 1,150,000 JPY = $10,385 USD

Again not strictly apples:apples, as Kenrick uses boutique caps (usually Jantzen Audio Silver Caps) and fancy Teflon coated wire for rebuilding their crossovers, but my point is there is an eager market in the > $4000 USD price range for restomodded vintages JBL speakers.

Beryllium is not cheap and toxic to work with. They are probably not making many - so economy of scale you know.

This is what a lot of people don't realize. If I can sell 10 million "widgets" and only make a buck a piece, I've still made $10M, but if I only sell 1000 pieces, I still have to pay for R&D, manufacturing and distribution, so they have to be priced accordingly.

I have been reading through all of the posts in regard to the new JBL L-100 and have duly noted that many of them are in regard to the $4000 price. I also happened to see a small article in a recent edition of Hi-Fi World in regard to a new Yamaha speaker, the NS-5000, which is being deemed as the "spiritual successor to the NS-1000M." I am not sure what the 1000M cost but the new NS-5000 is priced at an astounding $19,999 a pair!
The NS-1000m was $1900.00 a pair in the early 80's, I bought mine used in about 84 for $1000. Before it was decided not to sell the NS-5000 in the US, the price that was given for a pair was around $15K USD. At $4K for a new pair of L-100 Classics, that is about the same price ratio between the two as it was in the late 70's, early 80's

Pretty sure the Chinese are fully capable of building quality products. Anyone here own a cell phone or a tablet? Anybody here own an OPPO Blu-ray player?

I bought a Epihone Les Paul on a whim at a Pawn shop about 10 years ago that was made in China. The quality of the guitar is outstanding. Every detail is perfect, all of the components are high quality, as good as any made right here. Fit and finish are perfect. They even got all of the colors spot on. "Made In China" used to be a deal breaker for me but not anymore.

I've been watching the L100 market for a while now, and I'd like to pick up a nice pair (and I mean nice, all original and well cared for), not some beat all to heck, left out in the weather junkers. I'm curious regarding the new L100s, as they seem to be L100s in name only (cabinets aren't even the same size, albeit they are close), and the components have changed (understandably modernized). I would not pay the MSRP on them, but if the price was negotiable, I could be talked into it. Curious to know where these new L100s will be sold, via Synthesis dealerships, perhaps? They will be hard to/near impossible to find in Canada, of that I am nearly certain.

Thanks for the link. I have contacted them, and hopefully there will be some place in the Lower Mainland of B.C. where I can go and audition them. If I have to go to the States, and listen to them at a Synthesis dealer, I'm prepared to do so, but the dollar exchange (ours is at about .80 cents right now) is not in my favour.

I saw that JBL is reintroducing the L100 at CES. New titanium tweeter, a few other changes, foam grilles in orange or blue, and a sticker price of $4,000 per pair.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...JBL-HARMAN-Introduces-Updated-Iconic-JBL-L100

I just stopped by The Harman Store (54th & 5th Ave) in NYC and the sales rep couldn’t tell me when the hard release date is, just that it could set off a wave of excitement and move markets if he did in fact have the release date, but to no avail. There is quite a secrecy around the release of the L100, but the $4K price was confirmed. I always loved the Maxwell print ad that made these speakers uber famous. Good luck fellow AKers if you decide to drop the coin to own these contemporary beauties.

I always loved the Maxwell print ad that made these speakers uber famous. Good luck fellow AKers if you decide to drop the coin to own these contemporary beauties.
I don't remember seeing JBLs in a coffee ad?? o_O

They're going to have a long way to go to convince me these are worth $4,000.00.

I don't remember seeing JBLs in a coffee ad?? o_O

They're going to have a long way to go to convince me these are worth $4,000.00.
You mean the JBL L100s featured in this infamous Maxwell ad...

Attachments

• A2A0A2DB-C050-470E-8B5D-506E0AAFCAB1.jpeg
    A2A0A2DB-C050-470E-8B5D-506E0AAFCAB1.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 39
I know the ad well. I was a JBL owner way before it came out. My point was it was a Maxell (Tape) ad—not Maxwell (House Coffee).

And now you've written it twice! :rflmao:
Hahahaaa this gave me a good laugh! Yes you are correct—Maxell not the coffee!

Back
Top Bottom