How many records would it take to stop a bullet?

It wouldn't take many to stop a 22lr. However, something like a .223 it would probably take an entire Captain & Tennille collection. :thumbsup:

Both of those rounds tumble after penetration, the 22lr does it because it doesn't have velocity or mass, the .223 tumbles by design. Most likely they'll both go through a couple layers then out some random direction.

I've got cases upon cases of Black Talons in 0.357, 0.40 and 0.44 caliber--my uncle owned a small gun shop back in the day. It is not illegal to possess or use them, but don't get caught selling a single shell. I would guess somewhere in the 50-100 range penetrating albums--after all, they do go right through most body armor.

My guess would be 30 records for a.22 rifle. And if you got lucky and hit the center hole or would take a lot more.

Both of those rounds tumble after penetration, the 22lr does it because it doesn't have velocity or mass, the .223 tumbles by design. Most likely they'll both go through a couple layers then out some random direction.

Some .223 yaws by design upon entry so that it breaks apart (thus skirting the "rules" about using expanding-type bullets in combat). That's primarily the military stuff like M193 and M855. But, far as I know, most commercial stuff isn't designed to do that. They just make them expand violently, aka varmint rounds, or for better penetration and controlled expansion for hunting bigger stuff.

Last edited:
I'd guess it'd depend somewhat on the type of munition and to a degree on the vinyl. A don't think a 22 short would do 15. A 5.62 fmj might go 50 or more. (180g reissues might be slightly more penetration resistant )This looks like a job for myth busters:D

Get some beat to death dollar bin records, and try it with various calibers of small arms and see how many it takes.

Some .223 yaws by design upon entry so that it breaks apart (thus skirting the "rules" about using expanding-type bullets in combat). That's primarily the military stuff like M193 and M855. But, far as I know, most commercial stuff isn't designed to do that. They just make them expand violently, aka varmint rounds, or for better penetration and controlled expansion for hunting bigger stuff.

Most commercial FMJ .223 are variants ot M193 and M855. M855 is actually likely to stay in one piece and penetrate due to it's steel tip, but it tumbles as mentioned. Expanding rounds are primarily hunting rounds, and probably a bad choice for penetration tests, they're designed to dump their energy quickly after penetration, and expansion won't be consistent if the medium isn't soft tissue. IMO, a 7.62x39 is a better round to try penetrating stacks of records if one hopes for a straight bullet path.

Last edited:
Most commercial FMJ .223 are variants ot M193 and M955. M955 is actually likely to stay in one piece and penetrate due to it's steel tip, but it tumbles as mentioned. Expanding rounds are primarily hunting rounds, and probably a bad choice for penetration tests, they're designed to dump their energy quickly after penetration, and expansion won't be consistent if the medium isn't soft tissue. IMO, a 7.62x39 is a better round to try penetrating stacks of records if one hopes for a straight bullet path.

M855 yaws and breaks too. One apparent exception is thin bodies where the yaw and break up is too late and the round just "ice picks" through.

M855A1 is supposed to overcome the thin body thing, beginning yaw just an inch or two in.

Last edited:
After recalling this silly stunt with a gun and a book:

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...friend-in-fame-seeking-video-prank/431313063/

I wondered what the audiophile version would be:

A stack of records.

Not knowing anything about guns or bullets I wondered how many records it would take to stop a bullet. It wouldn't be that many would it? Like 30 or 40? No, I'm not going to do a Youtube stunt and I'm not encouraging anyone to try it with a stack of goodwill 101 strings records either. Just wondering 'cos you blokes have got heaps of guns over there and shoot stuff. :)

And no shooting down the spindle holes all lined up... :)
Dunno, how long is a rope?
Are you talking about a .22 short from an NAA standard pocket pistol or a 45/70 from a long barrel rifle, or what?

This sad shooting event supports my theory that sometimes it takes more than two brains to create a well functioning one. LTHISI

Q

After recalling this silly stunt with a gun and a book:

http://www.startribune.com/minnesot...friend-in-fame-seeking-video-prank/431313063/

I wondered what the audiophile version would be:

A stack of records.

Not knowing anything about guns or bullets I wondered how many records it would take to stop a bullet. It wouldn't be that many would it? Like 30 or 40? No, I'm not going to do a Youtube stunt and I'm not encouraging anyone to try it with a stack of goodwill 101 strings records either. Just wondering 'cos you blokes have got heaps of guns over there and shoot stuff. :)

And no shooting down the spindle holes all lined up... :)
A fifty cal. Dessert Eagle.... what a pair of idiots, plus had to be drugged out of their minds. Personally.. I wouldn't even fire one to those things unless the intended target was coming at me and weighted several hundred pounds with claws and teeth to match... and I like guns, grew up with them. But.. as for the question.. when it warms up a bit it sounds like a bit of fun, finding out. Start Super X .22, then .223, and finally 30:06.. the guns I have. Thrift stores have stacks of 10 cent record offerings nicely scratched and abused, not to mention likely titles. You'd have to do jackets on and jackets off testing since the question will come up.. as well as how tightly they are packed. I know phone books are pretty decent at absorbing a projectile.. and, of course, so is water, especially confined in a filled container. Probably should try the Rem 11 12 gauge too with a sabot slug.. just because. I'd guess the .22... fifteen, maybe twenty records with sleeves and jackets tightly packed and firmly secured in place.

Back
Top Bottom