Recording Streaming Audio

Freds.Bands

Live Music Listener
One computer providing audio via headphone or USB connected DAC connected to another running Audiocity or Gold wave or the like. Or just tape it.

One computer providing audio via headphone or USB connected DAC connected to another running Audiocity or Gold wave or the like. Or just tape it.

That's an awfully complicated mop (method of procedure) I won't speak to the legality of the concept but if you want to record a stream into a prefect digital copy in a flac, alac or mp3 format anyone can do so on a single computer using a program like Audio Hijack. If your not a mac owner however I'm uncertain of a windows equivalent.

But again the legality of doing so is the issue, I'd advise against doing so.

If you use Firefox, there's Ant, which usually does it for video. Should do it for audio, I suppose. I think it works by preserving the existing data in the buffer instead of allowing it to be erased. And I would think Soundflower offers an option too. And maybe Quicktime 7. All for Mac, of course...

Chip

Last edited:
I'm avoiding discussion of copyright, which is an issue one must consider. I'm not aware of streaming capture programs; this procedure uses two stereo wires and a recording program one your choice. I've found it easy to do.

Easy to do yes. But not as simple as the solution I posted, plus with your method multiple possibilities for signal degradation exist. Using a single computer and the proper program for a bit for bit perfect copy is the way to go.

Total Recorder is another option for Windows.
As far as legality is concerned, I believe the Federal law regarding personal taping/recording for personal use, not selling or duplicating, is still in existence and covers this use. It's why tape decks and taping was legal. Different than ripping.The 1992 Audio Home Recording Act AHRA was interpreted to allow for one digital taping for personal use.

Not since the DMCA came out. Taping radio programs has been illegal. podcasts no, since the person who made the podcast will let you download. So, no it isn't legal any more.

With the DMCA I'm like NWA cause that's some BS.

DMCA only covers Digital stuff. Radio ain't... and even HD radio is likely still OK to record if done in the analog domain, and/or without breaking any DRM to do it. Evading DRM is what DMCA is all about. They might have a case if you tried to copy bit-for-bit the HD radio stream, and it was somehow protected so that you couldn't. Trying to break that protection would be crossing the line. Of course, copying for non-personal, commercial money-making purposes flies in the face of standard copyright.

Why record it if you are streaming? I mean, isn't that contrary to the whole point of streaming, which is online access to all the music you want. Playlist or save it, some you can even download and play in the internet voids of western Kansas like I did driving home from Denver.

I can think of lots of reasons one would want to capture a stream. Live streams of music events jumps to mind. I have airchecked my daughter's college radio shows for posterity.

There are some nice proggies for routing/capturing audio streams for both Mac or PC. AudioHijack for Mac, Voicemeeter Banana for PC. Tons of fun. AH has a built-in capture module, or you can route the audio to your favorite recorder. Not as familiar with VmB, and don't know if it has record capabilities, but it can do all kinds of routing. Think of them as virtual patch-bays.

Last edited:
I certainly can see the value in recording one-off live shows or streams, but not in archival on-line libraries like Tidal and Spotify offer. Thosr you can just save and playlist to play any time you want as long as you have Internet or cell phone access.

Back
Top Bottom